• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Blue Canoe Barrels

Reaction score
I found a 60 liter barrel in a local surplus store for $19. I tried it out and now I'm obsessed with barrels. They did not have any smaller barrels so I've begun searching them out on line. I just ordered an 8 gallon (30 liter) from US Plastics for $55 including shipping. Where are you all buying them? What are the Best brands/sources?

Last edited:
[No message]

Attachments

• photo12161.jpg
    photo12161.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 0
Big Al,

My 60 litre blue barrel is made by Recreational Barrel Works, as are all blue barrels I have ever seen. I purchased mine from Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver. The company is headquartered in Ontario. Here is their link. https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/

If you open the link, and then click on Vendors, there are four in the U.S., including one in Tonawanda, NY. Hope this helps. We have been very pleased with our blue barrel.

^^^^Thanks, I hadn't seen their website. I found a few outdoorsy vendors on Amazon but the prices seem really inflated. These barrels are produced mainly for industrial purposes and are re-purposed by canoeists. I found several manufacturers selling them to industry but it's only value if you buy at least a pallet (48). I'm still on a quest for the best valued canoe barrel, lol.

I found a 60 liter barrel in a local surplus store for $19. I tried it out and now I'm obsessed with barrels. They did not have any smaller barrels so I've begun searching them out on line. I just ordered an 8 gallon (30 liter) from US Plastics for $55 including shipping. Where are you all buying them? What are the Best brands/sources?

That is a great price on a 60L barrel. I would put a couple gallons of water in it (or any new-to-me barrel) and turn it upside-down as a leak test. Sometimes old gaskets need help, sometimes the snap ring doesn’t seal properly.

I’ve never bought a “new” barrel, but have barrels that were purchased used as outfitter rentals and one (a rare 45L) bought from a now defunct re-seller of barrels used for shipping other products.

If you ever see used Cur-tec wide neck drums they are worth grabbing. Sizes from 1 gallon (3.6L) up to 18 gallon (68L). We have a couple of the squat 2.6 gallon (10L) wide neck drums and friends found some larger volume ones. None leak a drop, and it is easy to find boat space for the squat shaped 2.6G/10L. Two of those 10L drums fit nicely inside an old backpack.

https://www.curtec.com/en/products/drums/wide-neck-drums

I am still, and may forever be, ISO a birdseed vendor I saw that shipped seed in 30L barrels; I could accumulate a couple of barrels a year buying birdseed that way.

Messing around last night. I am trying to get multiple tie down points so the barrel does not roll around in the boat. I was using just the handles but i want it rock solid. I looked at a harness, but don't need the pack straps. I came up with this, untested.
Click image for larger version  Name:	barrel.jpg Views:	2 Size:	425.4 KB ID:	96533

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 0
I am trying to get multiple tie down points so the barrel does not roll around in the boat.

I just glue a minicel wedge or two to the floor of the canoe and run a webbing strap through a D-ring. The minicel wedge traps the barrel against a thwart and the webbing strap keeps it secured to the bottom of the boat.

P2270071 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I just got my new 30L from US Plastics. It appears to be the same barrel as the RBW barrel minus the sticker.

bar.jpg

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 0
I just glue a minicel wedge or two to the floor of the canoe and run a webbing strap through a D-ring. The minicel wedge traps the barrel against a thwart and the webbing strap keeps it secured to the bottom of the boat.
I like that alot

I like that alot

Al, I like it too, and find it wedge barrel trap convenient.

That came about because I have a box of those curved wedges, left over from band saw cutting circles off the squared corners on 3” thick minicel. Not type of minicel waste often created, but the curve proved a perfect fit to trap a barrel shape.

47231981971_b733584f11_c.jpg
P2260054 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

For trim purposes I load the barrels in the same place in the canoes, so the wedge placement was easy to figure out; I just tuck the barrel in against a thwart, push a pliable minicel wedge (or two) up tight below the barrel and mark around the base of the minicel for a where-to-glue perimeter outline. 3x coats of contact cement, heat gun and a perimeter bead of E-6000 adhesive sealant holds it lastingly in place.

40338525101_3d38be3a5e_c.jpg
P2170546 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

There is a D-ring just outside that photo, but even without a webbing strap the barrel is held securely when I simply don’t want it rolling around. I don’t always, or often tie in gear, but a single webbing strap is easy enough.

Trapped barrel-curve under a thwart by the minicel wedge it takes a bit of a directional tug to pop it free. When I don’t have a barrel on a trip the little wedge is not much in the way, and a dry bag or pack, simply laid in place or strapped down via the D-rings, fits in that spot just as nicely.

I have installed those barrel wedges in most of our tripping canoes, and in friend’s canoes, and keep giving them away when tripper folk visit the shop. Now if I could just find takers for an immense collection of 3 ½ or 4 inch tall (x 3 ½ inch diameter) minicel circles.

24401763747_76e4091cbf_c.jpg
PC230213 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

There are another 50+ of those cylinders in an overfilled box. I’ve been foisting a few of those off on each shop visitor as well, none of whom professed a clue as to what use they might serve. But I keep hoping.

Seriously, a overstuffed box of those minicel cylinders and I’ve yet to find a single decent purpose for them. And I keep making more. I don’t throw that kind of stuff away; it’s a box of pre-cut minicel the size of a dang mini-frig, and thick minicel ain’t cheap. I keep thinking I’ll eventually find myself “Hmmm, a bunch of thick minicel cylinders would be ideal for that”

These barrels are classic, make sure to get yourself a solid harness for it too. I personally recommend the Level Six “Badhass Adjustable Harness”. As far as can see it’s the best universal barrel harness on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 15 years ago, there was a place in toronto selling the industrial 60 litre barrels for 10 bucks each. I ordered 20 for the school club, had them shipped up by Greyhound and still came out under 20 bucks a barrel. They had drug labels on them ,had been used for pharmaceuticals, so cleaned them up pretty well. Personally, I find 50 and 60 bucks a barrel outrageous. If you can find a pharmaceutical company, they are probably throwing the things away.

Back