• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Batteries for fish detector

Reaction score
I found a protected 18650 battery holder. This uses the less expensive unprotected flattop 18650 batteries. I bought one to see if it works and it does. It will shut off power to your detector when any cell gets lower 2.4 volts. This will keep you from destroying your batteries by over discharging them. Once the circuit has blocked the output there are at least 3 ways to get to let power get to your detector again. All three methods involve putting power on the output lead.
1. The manufacture recommends putting the unit on a charger for a few seconds. That works if you have a long extension cord.
2. After installing charged batteries use a metal object like a knife to short between B+ and P+ pins. The P+ pin is the one with the red wire attached to it and the B+ is next to it. This will reset the circuit. The short only need to be there for a 1/4 second.
3. Solder a resistor between B+ and P+. Resistor should be between 20k and 50k ohms. This will automatically reset the circuit when the load is removed. Depending on the detector a few may need the detector to be unplugged for a couple of seconds. See attached photo.
Protection circuit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-4S1P-1...7eaf%7Ciid%3A1

A good choice for a battery.
https://liionwholesale.com/collectio...12514888122462
This needs to be protected from getting wet. I needs to be in a water tight box with the leads passing through a water tight hole.
Some of these protected holders are sold with a charger. I do not recommend using this type of charger because there is no balancing circuit.
There are also similar protected holders that hold 3 18650 batteries. They will supply longer runtime per ounce of batteries. The disadvantage of using 3 rather than 4 is that the detector will be running on lower voltage than it is designed to for the last part of the batteries charge life. If your detector has a low voltage alarm set it to 10 volts and replace the batteries when the alarm goes off.

Attachments

• photo12155.jpg
    photo12155.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back