• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Deer flies

Reaction score
Coming out of a soccer game one evening this summer we were given free samples of bug spray. Not quite what I'd preferred to be given in downtown Toronto during a torrential downpour, a poncho would've been nice, but hey I like free samples so I accepted one with gratitude and we trudged on. At home I stuck the freebie on a shelf and forgot about it...until this week when I thought I'd give it a try. We've been cycling on rail trails through field and forest, all prime habitat for biting bugs, and I've never seen clouds this thick with deer flies all following us like hungry hordes. So in the thick of it I stopped to spray our backs and bums (yes, they bite there too) and the effect was immediate. Maybe it was the aerosol effect that drove them away or the active ingredient of picaridin, or maybe the winds blew just at the right time, I don't know, but they skedaddled. A few kilometers down the trail a few more deer flies zoomed in to say hello but left as fast as they'd come. Maybe this stuff really works? I've used different sprays with varying results, not much seems to deter the deer flies, at least until now. https://off.ca/en-ca/product/family-...nt-8-deet-free

Interesting, Odyssey. Read the article, and some more information. A claimed advantage of Picaridin over DEET is that the former is odourless. That’s a showstopper for me. To paraphrase that famous line in Apocalypse Now, I love the smell of DEET in the morning. That marvellous, sweet fragrance just reinforces the thrill of knowing that I’m on another northern wilderness canoe trip.

Last edited:
I have both DEET and Picaridin products and they both carry some chemical odour. On one DEET-less bottle it appears OFF (SC Johnson) calls their formula Icaridin, a company trade name I suppose (or maybe the label smudged?). The stuff I tried most recently seems to be the most effective against deer flies, but like I say it may have been just happenstance. I will continue to use it and see what happens, though I'm not a fan of aerosols.

Anyone have any effective strategies against deer flies? (And please don't ask me to pedal/paddle/portage faster. lol)

Yep, deerfly tape works and you aren't smearing yourself with chemicals. I also use repellants and smoke. I believe in a wide spectrum defense in the "war on bugs". What works on one doesn't work on others. I have recently tried Picaridin on ankle biters and mosquitoes. It seems to work quite well and isn't as nasty as deet. You do need to use it quite liberally though.

My wife has been trying a dose of apple cider vinegar each morning for various purported health effects, one of which is apparently bug defence.
I'm willing to try the same. Has anyone tried this?

Back