• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Reflectix Cozies (and Nashua FlexFix foil tape)

G

I may store a Reflectix coozie or two inside that pot as well.

I do like the Reflectix cozie pouch for freeze dried meal rehydration, but it doesn’t fit inside the Zebrapot.

I do need a cozie for my uninsulated oatmeal and soup cup. That is a historic artifact of a 1988 cross country trip, still used mostly for sentimental reasons.

Well, not just sentimental reasons; my insulated Bodum coffee cup fits perfectly inside the Circle K cup.

That plastic coffee club mug doesn’t keep things hot for every long. It is tapered, so the cozie is going to be a weird shape. Better make a paper template first. And remember to make that template an inch or two longer than seems necessary; the edges of the thin paper will meet when wrapped around the cup, but the edges of the thicker Reflectix would come up short.

Weird shape, but the matching cozie taper is helpful; the cup only seats down in the Reflectix sleeve so far, so it can’t fall out and the cozie needs no bottom.

I slurp my soup, maybe I should cut out a lip sipping notch.

For folks who use pots and pans or do group meals insulated pot cozies are even easier to make. One hint for taping on a bottom circle, cut short pieces of the FlexFit tape shaped kinda |_/, flat on one side and angled on the other. Those tape pieces will wrap around the right angle side and bottom Reflectix and lay flush without wrinkling.

(Thanks to Joel for showing me that tape trick and how to make cozies)

Reflectix insulation

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

25 feet of it will cover every pot and pan you and your paddling friends own. I have made (or helped make) a dozen pot and pan cozies, several meal pouch cozies and some other little cup and bowl stuff and haven’t used even half that roll of Reflectix. That foil bubble insulation is sold as well in smaller sheets, but those are a PITA compared to using a roll.

Reflectix cozie making party, bring your pots. It helps to have a designated tape cutter to hand the Reflectix man pieces of tape as needed during assembly.

FlexFix tape

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...1207803/100575721?keyword=Nashua+FlexFix+tape

I doubt I will use 120 yards of that stuff in this lifetime and the next, but it is made to adhere to that Reflectix foil.

Yep, I'm sitting on a life supply of that stuff too. All I needed was one lousy cozy!

I would be too, but rather than see that roll gather dust in the shop I have made/helped friends make cozies to fit their cookware. And I still have half a roll left.

Reflectix cozie making party, bring your pots.

If you have paddling friends who eat commercial freeze dried meals insulated pouch cozies (with a bottom) are fairly standard sized easy peazy to make.

Those insulated freeze dry dinner pouches are the no-weight, no-space bomb for rehydrating meals. That “Wait 10 minutes” makes for a tepid dinner in cold weather, and the meaty varieties are less chewy with additional seep time.

A freeze dry meal in that Reflectix cozy is still too hot to eat 10 minutes later.

I never did buy that tape, but have used shoe goop and black gorilla tape, what was at hand... This past fall I made the wife, for our October campout in the ADKs a cozy of both CCF and reflectix for her french press coffee maker, plus I got her a (just for her) nice insulated cup to go with it. It wasn't that cold, but by pouring some hot water in the mug and using the cozy...she was one happy camper. I also set up and used the hot tent every day, finally figuring out that her tolerance for cold was just a continent away from mine. Live and learn...

Reflectix and CCF pads...made to go together like wine and cheese.

I'm chuckling at Sweetfancymoses' comment about having a lifetime supply. When I finally bit the bullet and purchased a roll, along with the tape, from the local Home Depot I figured it was best to share it. For that reason any student who comes in our door is offered the opportunity to make their own cozy. I also now have one for probably every pot & kettle I have in my possession :eek: All I need now, to get rid of the rest of it, is for my grandsons to make their own. That should help me to eliminate the rest of it. Of course, then their mother (my daughter) will be giving me holy heck about what her kids are bringing into the house (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - Southcove, I've found that good duct tape will work pretty well in place of the specialty tape made for the reflectix.

I've only made a set for one pot and mug. Since they're still working fine I haven't refined the design, which really isn't much of a design to start with. Instead of using tape to keep the cozy together I used adhesive backed Velcro. This seems to make it easier to fold it small for storage and when I want to use it I just wrap it around the pot and stick the velcro together.

The top and bottom are separate; just basic round pieces a little bigger than the pot. The pot sits on the bottom pad and the top pad sits on top of the pot, held in place with a rock, stick, or most commonly, my leather fire-handling glove.

I rehydrate my meals in the pot rather than a bag and after 15-20 minutes inside the pouch I still burn my mouth.

I also made one for my stainless steel cup. No top or bottom on this one. It just allows me to hold the cup without burning my hands and has a lip cut-out.

I agree that these are so cheap and easy to make there's no reason not to do so.

Alan

I picked up a roll from the local flower shop for free. They get their bulk flowers delivered wrapped with this stuff and usually just throw out what nobody takes. I have enough to make a sleeping pad for additional warmth in the hammock.

I like the florist source idea, that Reflectix stuff is handy for lots of things, never thought about using it for hammock insulation.

Not to play Captain Obvious but you can also wrap that stuff around your home water heater. I wrapped the well reservoir with it, to help prevent condensation from sweating on the floor in summer. Those applications will use up a bunch.

I have cozies for my 10 and 12 cm IMUSA pots.
I also made one for Mountain House meals for a 2014 WCPP trip.
My buddy liked it so much I gave it to him when he dropped me off at home.
I just buy those windshield shades and cut the pieces I need.
As it turns out, the cozy for the 12cm pot is big enough for most freezer bag meals.

Back