• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Modifying a Katadyn Base Camp water filter - No more filter replacement costs

Reaction score
Years ago, I purchased a Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter to avoid the chore of manual pumping for fresh water. While it was easy to use, the included filter quickly clogged and the clean water flow would basically stop. The only solution was to purchase a new filter. The inability to back flush the system and the high replacement cost of the filters ($45 CND) lead me to start using a Sawyer squeeze system. It has a much better longevity since it can be back flushed easily but the smaller squeeze bags it came with were not ideal for large water needs.

Both Katadyn and Saywer have since come out with "new and improved" models of their systems. The new Katadyn Base Camp Pro costs over a $100 here in Canada and claims to have solved the premature clogging issue. Instead of slapping down more money for gear, I read about a mod to the older version that would eliminate the costs of replacement cartridges. It involves sawing off the pleated membrane of a the Katadyn filter at the base, revealing a mesh particle screen at the bottom. This is returned the base camp gravity bag and the Sawyer filter is attached the outlet hose. My Sawyer kit came with the inline attachment piece included so this setup made sense.

Here are some visuals starting with an internet image of the original filter. I forgot to take a picture of mine before cutting mine up. It was nasty and disgusting to look at anyway...

Filter%2BOriginal.jpg

The filter is cut at the base of the pleated membrane, just above the blue casing by the o-ring.. This process was a bit messy as it released all the granulated carbon embedded in the interior tubing. The result is a bottom piece that can be re-screwed to the filter bag to form a tight seal.

Base%2BCamp%2BMod%2B1_rs.jpg

The Sawyer filter is then attached to the end of the hosing using the inline attachement (grey piece) that was included in the kit.

Base%2BCamp%2BMod%2B9_rs.jpg

Here's a pic of it slung up a tree branch on the property.

Base%2BCamp%2BMod%2B7_rs.jpg

The original white shutoff clip still works to clamp down on the hose, but this edition of the Sawyer filter also has one of those pull up bottle lids to also stop water flow. When opened, the filter immediately begins to go to work with a decent flow.

Base%2BCamp%2BMod%2B5_rs.jpg

The other nice thing about this mod, is that without the original, delicate pleated membrane encased in the bag, the whole setup can collapse into a tighter package. Here it is all bundled up.

Base%2BCamp%2BMod%2B8_rs.jpg

Also, if out for just a quick trip where large quantity of water isn't needed, the Sawyer filter can removed and used with its original smaller squeeze bags.

If you've got an old clogged Katadyn Base Camp filter collecting dust, maybe this mod will help bring it back to life.

I made this mod a couple of years ago but used a Camelbak filter instead as that was all that was available in Winnipeg. I think the MSR and Camelbak filters are the same with a different badge. A great improvement. When the Camelbak filter finally clogs I will probably switch to a Sawyer unit.

Is that the std. size or the "Mini"?

I've seen a lot of posts like this. An easier solution is to just buy the Platypus CleanStream system. Works like a charm until it approaches its useful life (maybe 200-250 gallons) and then it slows down. Backflushing is par for the course. One gallon in 6-8 minutes works for me.

I got the Platypus gravity system for a gift at around the time of the Winter Solstice and I am very very happy with the speed and ease to which it works. Used a Katadyn Combi before this is pumping sucks!

Thanks for that suggestion. I had heard and read that both models clogged very quickly and $$$, so had steered away, but the gravity fed has alot going for it in terms of flow and convenience.

One change I did make was to carry 2 Nalgene bottles instead of 1. Fill two at the start of the day. One is tucked away with my lunch and the second is a sip as needed sort of thing. After 10 days solo I never found I had to stop in the middle of the day and filter. But that's me.

We try to always have 2 full 1.5L water bottles at the ready all day long; also 2 cycling type water bottles with protective flip covers (to keep out the portage grime) are at the ready. I hate to stop for a midday filter, especially since swapping the Kat pump for the Kat gravity. I haven't run into any clogging issues yet, but do rinse out the filter and bag after every trip.
I'll remember this mod, thanks Murat.

ps Yes, the bulk of this bag, hose and filter annoy me. I keep it in a screw top plastic jar that is just large enough to stuff it all into.

Last edited:
The Katadyn bag is really awesome. I have taken the filter out and back washed/cleaned it during a trip and it works about a season for me. I find a $45 cartridge every year a small expense to not get sick again from bad water. They do tend to slow down as time goes on but if you hang it in a tree and have a full bag it still goes quick enough. If the water level in the bag gets too low the flow will slow down a lot...just add more water.

We keep the whole assy rolled up and stuffed in a plastic juice jug that I use to scoop water with and fill the bag.

Christy

For those interested, the original instructions for this mod were on the BWCA forums in this post.

Bothwell Voyageur: This is the original squeeze filter. Small enough but the Sawyer Mini would be even more compact. By the time your Camelbak filter clogs, they'll probably come out with an even more tiny extra Mini filter

Odyssey: I tried rinsing out the filter to extend its life as well, but still found I was going through 2 filters a season. By the 2nd year I gave up. It certainly didn't perform to the specifications listed in my case, but maybe it had to do with my water sources. No problems thus far with the Sawyer filter though.

Philtrum: I'm sure there are "easier" products out there. But the platypus system has quite the initial cost as well. Like Iskweo, I too like the Katadyn bag and simply wanted to keep using it without having to fork over yet more money for gear.

Last edited:
I don't know what's easier than dipping the dirty water bag, hanging it above the clean water bag, and waiting 6 minutes for a gallon of clean water. If anyone knows of an easier and equally reliable method, I want to hear about it.

I also carry several water bottles. But I still ran out once in a while before making camp. I recently got a Katadyn filtration water bottle.
http://shop.katadyn.com/product/8017...&language_id=1
It's very convenient - just dip and sip. The only way to run out of water is if the lakes drain.

The only way to run out of water is if the lakes drain.[/QUOTE said:
And that happens too...that lake in Georgia that has been featured on the Weather Channel all week!

Thanks for the idea, I have the same filter bag and think I will make that modification before I head out this weekend. I will say though that I still get most of my drinking water straight from the lake away from the shore, never had any issues.

Back