• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lanterns for canoe camping

I only take a lantern now in the fall, when I might need to heat the tent up. I have a very small coleman that fits on top of a propane bottle. Led flashlights have come so far that I only find the lantern necessary in cold weather, if i don't have a stove.

I only use a headlight light after dark for necessary/emergency chores. I prefer to see the stars at night. the noise and glare from pump-up gas lanterns is awful to me. I even forgo a campfire sometimes to maximize my night vision.
Turtle

Interesting, up here it doesn't even crosses our mind to bring a lantern from may to september... In June and July you can barely tell if it day or night...

I've experimented a little. We started with hand held flashlights, but quickly moved on to lanterns and headlamps. The candle lantern puts out dependable light, and lasts hours, but it heats up too much for use around a tent. One son still has a scar from leaning against this during a late evening card game. Smaller one candle versions are nice. I had one, but must've permanently loaned it out. The battery lantern is surprisingly light (no pun) and bright, and dependable. The headlamps are great for hands free movement around camp and beyond.
PB290719.JPG

been using a brass single candle lantern for canoe trips for the last 25 years -- ii usually light it near sun-down -- t takes the damp edge off of the tent -- and makes it easy to find the tent in the dark -- usually bring a head-lamp for emergency use...but really don't use a lot of artificial light on canoe trips -- when it's dark, i watch the sunset, the stars, and the fire -- and then i sleep...have kerosene and white-gas burners up at the camp...but not on trips. might be different if i was running groups of people again

From September on, I bring one of the small white gas lanterns, fitted into a nice tough plastic case. It is great for doing those camp duties, like cooking and cleaning, especially with a group. Much better than having to use headlamps. Once this stuff is done, and we are chillaxing around the fire, it is off, as it makes too much noise.

I am actually quite intrigued by some of the LED lantern offerings that are coming up these days. Less weight than the white gas lantern, and the extra fuel for it, varying outputs depending on size, and they seem to last a long time, often more than enough for one fall trip. Plus, no noise at all.

I have taken the same candle lantern with me on trips for nearly 40 years now. The light outside is not great, but okay if you can put the lantern right beside the task at hand. Where it shines is in the tent, where I light it 20 minutes ahead of going to bed on damp nights, to chase any condensation out, plus it is adequate light for getting ready for bed. We have had one or two going in snow shelters before, and they seem to really shine bright in there, plus add a bit of warmth, especially psychologically.

Interesting thread, I mainly use a flashlight or a headlamp. Curious how the idea of headlamps was so slow to be adapted to camping, all the parts were there but didn't take hold for a long time.
Years ago we used carbide lamps while caving, pretty much a direct cross-over from the men down in the mine. As I remember it, they worked very well, those caves are just about the ultimate definition of dark.

I do wish Coleman would make a reduced size, white gas, mantle lantern. Maybe about half the size of the regular one. As long as I'm wishing, have it made from brass. I've got a single burner one, keep it in the box of stuff for when the winter storms cause power outages. Half size would reduce the light output down to where, in my opinion, it would be much more bearable.

Hmm.....I stumbled on a site where the Japanese were selling a re-issue of the old kerosene stoves, like the Primus, Optimus and Svea. I'll have to try to find it and see if they have lanterns and if so what they look like.

Best Wishes, Rob

No Title

I use a Stonebridge candle lantern, bringing two during shoulder seasons when nights are longer. I like the light that comes from Beeswax candles best.

Attachments

• photo1360.jpg
    photo1360.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
I only used it on one 4 night trip but I had no complaints with the Luci Lantern. Solar Powered, small, inflatable, waterproof lantern. Not too heavy and has two brightness settings and a strobe function. During the day I would tie it to a canoe deck to charge the integral battery pack. At night, it was bright enough for my sweetheart to take on trips to the thunder box. It gives a lot for $15.00 but it doesn't give off heat.

I use either my Coleman 226 (fancier version of the 222) or my old Campingaz lantern. Neither has ever let me down.
Norton; your Coleman SHOULD NOT leak at all when off- it's a sealed system! I suspect you have either a bad cap, check valve, or needle valve. Where is it leaking from?

No Title

Curious how the idea of headlamps was so slow to be adapted to camping, all the parts were there but didn't take hold for a long time.

I do wish Coleman would make a reduced size, white gas, mantle lantern. Maybe about half the size of the regular one.

I have been using a headlamp camping, as have all my friends, for almost 40 years now.

As I mentioned above, Coleman does make a smaller white gas, mantle lantern. The exponent model 229This is what I use. A case is available too, and the base of the case makes a very stable stand, and stores spare mantels. The tank will give you a good hour of light on high. It is 9 1/4" tall.

I just went out to the garage and took a photo for you.

Attachments

• photo1362.jpg
    photo1362.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 0
For summer trips, especially at high latitudes lighting is not that important. If each person has a headlamp,(or flashlight) that is really all you need .It is easy to cook dinner and put everything away before dark. At other times of the year it is great to have a battery powered LED lantern like for cooking dinner in the dark. I still have a propane Coleman lantern but only use it for task lighting like skinning a deer or in the backyard for a big winter party.

On the February trip in the desert, we had headlamps and a couple of battery lanterns set on low. We also brought some cheap solar lights to set around camp. With 14 hours of darkness they were helpful. We had a campfire just about every night for warmth, which also helps everyone to see. On winter trips lighting becomes very important.

Thanks Bearleealive! I appreciate the effort you went to! That looks to be a dandy lantern. Don't know why I didn't get the word on the headlamps earlier, it sure would have saved several bumped shins of the way to the little house at night.

Best Wishes, Rob

Good for you Norton. I'm 43, and I've use a head lamp for the last 25 years. Would never go anywhere w/o it other than summer months since we have a lot of day light up here!

I have a tiny led light that clips to my ballcap visor that I use 99% of the time. It's green lite so it doesn't ruin my night vision. it weighs partially nothing and if I'm going lite I don't take even my backup bigger headlight at all. I think most people use way more light than they need.
Turtle

Do any of you guys take lanterns with you in the field?

This girl takes a small but effective lantern. Let's call this the family compromise lantern. My husband prefers not to take one at all, but our little one is afraid of the dark. The compromise? A small LED lantern that folds down even smaller and can be dimmed if it's too bright for your application. It's lighter and takes up less space than a conventional lantern. I really like it. It's a Black Diamond. - Mama

DSC04143 (800x600).jpgDSC04144 (800x600).jpg

I mostly solo, or take my daughter... We both use headlamps. Anyone use an UCO Candle Lantern? Only saw one in the thread, Odyssey's, and that was the Chandelier 3-wick one.

Speaking of headlamps,one of my least favorite things: people who walk around camp with their high intensity headlights on all the time and aimed up high so they get you right in the eyes!
Turtle

Back