Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip out spurs quest for a new chair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Chip View Post

    It's a wonder Helinox doesn't add similar "foot-broadeners." They must be aware that their chairs are treacherous on soft surfaces. The Sunset-style chairs look to have a higher seat height than my 2013 Helinox. Looks like a good chair, but pricey!
    Helinox haven't missed the opportunity to extract more money from their followers. They have accessories to solve the sinking issue. they now have their own version of the golf/tennis ball DIY solution plus what they call a "ground sheet".

    https://helinox.com/collections/chair-accessories

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by recped View Post

      Helinox haven't missed the opportunity to extract more money from their followers. They have accessories to solve the sinking issue. they now have their own version of the golf/tennis ball DIY solution plus what they call a "ground sheet".

      https://helinox.com/collections/chair-accessories
      HOLY SHEEP DIP

      I'll say they haven't. Looks like they had a whole design team on just accessories

      Comment


        #18
        They probably have a "whole team" for everything, that's why their chairs are 3 times the price of virtually indistinguishable no-name versions.

        Comment


          #19
          Last year you could get the Helinox sunset for 85-90 US dollars if you searched the internet occasionally. Still not cheap but it is a quality chair and the feet issue is easily solved if you are not camping on the Canadian shield like I do.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNorth...1?feature=mhee

          Comment


            #20
            Bought something called a Moon Lence camping chair last year from Amazon for $40 Canadian (roughly $30 US). It's a Helinox knock-off, rated for 330 pounds but I wouldn't push it quite that far. Weighs almost exactly the same as a Helinox Chair One (1.8 pounds, without the bag) and folds to fit in a small outside pocket on my backpack. And while I've only used it a few times it seems solid and stable (I'm about 180 pounds) , and comes with wide foot attachments. Helinox is very good, and I don't mind spending a fair bit on good outdoor gear where it really matters (like a tent or something) but to me they are now approaching the "screw me over" price point when you consider it is just a dinky chair. That price point is different for everyone of course, but for now I like the odds that I won't need to go through the 3 or so of these chairs required before spending as much as one Helinox.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by scratchypants View Post
              Take a look at The Kermit Chair.
              I had forgotten about those. They seem very well built. Thanks for reminding me of that brand.
              Just my $0.02 (minus inflation)

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Traveler View Post
                Bought something called a Moon Lence camping chair last year from Amazon for $40 Canadian (roughly $30 US). It's a Helinox knock-off, rated for 330 pounds but I wouldn't push it quite that far. Weighs almost exactly the same as a Helinox Chair One (1.8 pounds, without the bag) and folds to fit in a small outside pocket on my backpack. And while I've only used it a few times it seems solid and stable (I'm about 180 pounds) , and comes with wide foot attachments. Helinox is very good, and I don't mind spending a fair bit on good outdoor gear where it really matters (like a tent or something) but to me they are now approaching the "screw me over" price point when you consider it is just a dinky chair. That price point is different for everyone of course, but for now I like the odds that I won't need to go through the 3 or so of these chairs required before spending as much as one Helinox.
                I love the quality of Kermit Chair. The design is great and they are made in the US...and I am still saving up for them.

                A few years ago we bought 4 of the Moon Lence for around $120 (for all 4 of them). I was skeptical as to quality, but I have to say that after many camping and canoeing trips, they have held up quite well. I was 225# and never broke one of the chairs. They are also super light and pack very small. The biggest downside, they are pretty low to the ground. Getting in and out is not the easiest. Well, one other down side, sandy ground can present some fun moments.
                Just my $0.02 (minus inflation)

                Comment


                  #23
                  The UPS man brought me an ALPS chair today. That thing is comfortable, but beastly. And the cup holder? Really, does that work? Packed, it's huge 9" x 7" x 36, taking up more than twice the space as my old cheapo collapsable. But comfortable and solid. I won't have to worry about somebody's carelessly placed butt busting my chair! I'm declaring it a keeper, and I'm ordering a Camp Time Roll-a-Chair for use where pack size (and weight) matter.

                  But, I do have a question. Why is ALPS building a robust chair on such small feet? If I know my pi-R-squared, the ALPS feet provide 1.53 square inches of pad on each leg. My old el cheapo provided 2.76 square inches of foot pad, and even that would sink a bit in sand.

                  Here's a comparison, foot photo. ALPS feet are about an inch wide by 1.5 inch ovals. El cheapo feet are 1.75 inch round. One is partially busted. The one with the hole in it was replacement hip connector. Note, replacement 1/4" bolt. That el cheapo was resurrected a number of times and only recently declared dead.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chair feet.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	104374

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Because I have a hate relationship with my sewing machine I sprang for a Helinox ground sheet. If you like your machine sew some elastic at each corner of a piece of packcloth that is the same size as the leg spread. Slip one foot into each loop. Voila you will not sink in sand. You may not sit on water though.
                    This way you can have the weight savings benefit of tiny feet and the cloth spreads your weight over a large area with virtually no weight of its own.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I went shopping today. We have a daughter's wedding to look forward to this summer, and my wife conspired with her to ignore the wish list suggestions altogether, so I was sent on a fool's errand swearing to search for one more copper pot or pan to complete an antique collection. I found a nice lidded copper casserole pan, perfect; and while perusing the antiques came across a nice piece of pottery for my wife, a pretty little berry colander, she'll love it. That's just the kind of guy I am. Later after confirming I'd succeeded beyond her wildest dreams (why did she ever doubt I would?) she gave me an early Valentine's Day gift. ( I wasn't aware we were doing the Valentine's Day thing. Isn't there some kind of cooling off period after 40 years of marriage?) Anyway, she presented me with a long cardboard box. "Nice wrapping!" I said, and opened it. Nice indeed!!
                      https://www.amazon.ca/NiceC-Ultralig...s%2C185&sr=8-6
                      I set it up in the kitchen and we both took turns sitting in it. Fairly light and fairly comfortable, and < $50.
                      Last edited by Odyssey; 02-13-2020, 01:32 PM.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Helinox Sunset on sale in a few colors https://www.backcountry.com/helinox-sunset-camp-chair $95 US edit, now its $80
                        Last edited by Marten; 02-19-2020, 08:38 PM.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNorth...1?feature=mhee

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Chip View Post
                          Why is ALPS building a robust chair on such small feet? If I know my pi-R-squared, the ALPS feet provide 1.53 square inches of pad on each leg. My old el cheapo provided 2.76 square inches of foot pad, and even that would sink a bit in sand.
                          ALPS could easily have put bigger feet on it, at 13lbs what’s a couple more ounces.

                          Originally posted by Mike McCrea View Post
                          The feet are just ok, 1” x 1 ½” wide; could be bigger and I might add slit tennis balls for soft sugar sand. When the feet do soft sand sink the sheer rigidity of the frame keeps it unbent and fairly even.
                          If the legs were tubular it would be easier to find larger feet, crutch tips or etc, or even drill something out, instead of using slit tennis balls or sewn fabric platforms.

                          I think that the rectangular steel (not tubular aluminum) construction adds to the rigidity of the frame; when I have used our ALPS on sand they has sunk kind of evenly, unlike some X-frame camp chairs where the frame bends as one leg sinks and another leg is left waggling in the air.

                          If you come up with an idea for foot pad extenders please let me know. For now I think I’ll slice four tennis balls to drop in the bottom of the dry bag just in case. Or three more, I already carry one slit tennis ball as a weightable arborist’s throw.

                          The cup holder works best if you suck down half of a canned beer before sticking it in that tilted receptacle. That has not been much of an issue for me to overcome so far.

                          Kinda dicey even with the sippy lid on the coffee mug, so I use the minicel console on the ground beside the chair and reserve that holder for less spillable things. I’ve thought about removing it so the chair slides into the oversized dry bag easier.

                          Willie’s 4-legged Roll-a-Chair does look better than the tripod stools I’ve tried, although that same forward facing vee under my nuts has reminded me not to lean forward too far. DOHHH, somebody else lean over and chuck a log on the fire.

                          Originally posted by Will Derness View Post
                          Very easy to slide your feet back to get under you as you stand.
                          Feet back under body mass to stand upright is a definite advantage in that design. Most of the damage done to our saggy seat folding big box camp chairs has been from someone, often me, levering themselves upright using the arms, enough to get feet under body and stand erect. Those X-frame chairs with cheap pop rivets are especially vulnerable.

                          I’m also leery of the UL designs that are some-assembly-required, with tubes and spider connectors and fabric to stretch over (wait, which orientation for the fabric ?) and attach. Can I have a chair to sit down in while I think about assembling the parts of this chair?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Mike McCrea View Post

                            I’m also leery of the UL designs that are some-assembly-required, with tubes and spider connectors and fabric to stretch over (wait, which orientation for the fabric ?) and attach. Can I have a chair to sit down in while I think about assembling the parts of this chair?
                            If you can set up a tent you can set up a chair, especially as they're usually shockcorded? Undo the hook&loop strap, give the spidery cluster a shake, and it practically sets itself up. I must admit though that my new Nice chair was a struggle at first to wrestle the fabric pocket up and over the last 2 aluminum pole ends. Tight fit.

                            ps .
                            My wife likes the chair so much she's ordered one for herself. We're both tired of sitting on the ground in camp.
                            Last edited by Odyssey; 02-13-2020, 11:08 PM.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I'm a fan of the Alps chair after having lower back surgery and needing something that doesn't sag. I'm will to deal with the weight and bulk of it for the comfort it gives, for me anyway. And I'm just too freaking old and sore to climb out of chair that's 2" from the ground. The only time I'd leave it behind would be if a trip had a lot of portages but I'm trying to avoid those as well.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Martin, thanks for the head's up on the sunset chair. Backcountry has two colors at $80. I could not resist.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X