• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Noob here looking for advice

Reaction score
Well I have just started paddling this summer in a old Coleman 17' tank but just upgraded to a Old Town Guide 147. I had problems with the Coleman as I couldn't set on the seat with out tipping so I set in bottom. I am rather large 6'3" bout 380# so I lowered the seats in my old town about 9" is there anything else I can do to help with this issues. I have had the chance to try it out yet in the Old Town.

Do you sit in the bow seat with the boat pointed "backwards"? That's the customary thing for soloing a tandem, but you might have a better ride with a center seat. The boat will be most stable with even trim (bow and stern the same height), so you want to position yourself in the middle or just a few inches aft. Another option would be a really big dog, but only if he'll sit still ...

I tried with someone sitting in the front still no good lol I'm hoping the Old Town will be better with the seat lowered. It is now about 3" off the floor and moved forward about 9".

Usually the best place for a center/solo seat is 5-10 inches aft of center, which tends to mean taking out the yoke. For a try-on, put a milk crate right against the yoke and see if that's better. That 147 is 38" wide, it ought to be stable as a barge if the trim is right.

This one is 40" at the yolk. That's outside gunnel to gunnel I think that's the proper place to measure.

Back