• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Stocking Stuffers for outdoors folks?

G

I’d like to find a deal on socks. Good socks, wool or Smartwool or etc. Some for the missus, some for the boys, some for myself. Not $20 a pair socks, ‘cause I know they will be oft worn, and worn out. Maybe $20 for a pair of pairs, or some 3-pack deal for a bit more. Or two 3-packs, my sons and I all wear size 12.

Any ideas for a deal on wool or Smartwool socks? Or other ideas for outdoors stocking stuffers?

Christmas stockings are a big thing in my family, and it can’t all be beef jerky, weird hot sauces and new toothbrushes.

I don't know it they're available in the states, but the CF issue cold weather, moderate weather, and extreme weather socks are all made by DuRay, and are sold retail too. they're a sport sock style and come in basic grey grey, or grey:) About $10/ pair

If you have a Sam's Club near you, they offer a 4 pack of a Winter weight Merino wool blend for like $16.00.....They wear like iron and are pretty comfortable....They have carried them for years....

Mike

Non socks: headlamps (don't forget batteries), luci solar lights, glowstick chem lights, lifestraw water purifier, fire starters, diamond knife sharpener, spare inexpensive compass, set of small storage drybags (from Walmart), etc. Lots of things that don't break the bank.

Yellowcanoe; WOW, I looked at the Duray's on amazon- that's a LOT more expensive than in store!

If you have a Sam's Club near you, they offer a 4 pack of a Winter weight Merino wool blend for like $16.00.....They wear like iron and are pretty comfortable....They have carried them for years.

That does sound like a good deal. There is a Sam’s Club, but it’s a bit of a drive into town and I am not a member. Maybe someday if they have an open-house.

Non socks: headlamps (don't forget batteries), luci solar lights, glowstick chem lights, lifestraw water purifier, fire starters, diamond knife sharpener, spare inexpensive compass, set of small storage drybags (from Walmart), etc. Lots of things that don't break the bank.

All good ideas, but we have been family paddling for nearly 30 years and are well set on durable goods.

I got a Life-straw in my stocking one year. I brought it on a couple trips but never used it.

I am giving my outdoors friends an OVLED headlight. The on -off switch and battery pack is a little funky, but they shine a nice wide beam which is way better than a spotlight beam other headlights shine for most things other than coon hunting..

Follow-up sock question.

I love wool, and yet hate many wools or wool blends resting directly against my skin. A rough wool shirt or pants against my skin can be itchy madness, but worn over a softer under layer like Capiline long underwear tops/bottoms or, feet-specially, Smartwool/Marino sock liners under wool, that combo is my king of daylong comfort.

Ankles-up I am set, but I buy my shoes and boots with enough space to wear thin sock liners underneath thickish wool. That combination seems like the best of both worlds, the warmth and wicking/non-absorbent action is appreciated and thin liners dry out really fast.

I do like the feel and stretch of thin Smartwool/Merino liners, but dang they wear out fast for $10 socks. Admittedly I wear liners a lot; sometimes alone with trail runners in let-my-tootsies-breath around camp, sometimes under wool socks when winter hiking or even yard working, always under Seal Skinz inside Mukluks, the latter purpose bought a half-size too large. That water boot combo is awesome, even with an initial dram of sewn stitching leakage until the neoprene swells shut (thanks Topher, great trick)

So, socks query #2 – anyone have a good source for thin-ish sock liners?

Maybe size 12 Multi-packs?

I am digging the idea of Christmas stockings full of stockings.

Just stuff my Christmas stocking with cash and let me do my own shopping:D

Gramps, I like it. I may gift my sons nothing but socks this Christmas, with a crisp $20 tucked in each toe for them to find later when they first try them on. Maybe a book of interest each, with another $20 tucked between the pages.

I like the gift that keeps on giving idea.

Well I hope no one from my family reads this, but I'm giving inflatable pillows to everyone. About the size of your fist when stowed. Sea to Summit I believe is the brand. I just tried one out and it's way better than a folded up down vest. Since they all bring airline size pillows anyway, my portages will be that much easier (since I am the dunnage lugger extraordinaire).

Dagger.....
Now that is the prefect gift....for me an a few old friends. Thanks for the tip.

Mike,

To reply to your original post... I have had great success on eBay buying socks from a seller called- nysock. He's located in Syracuse, NY which apparently is historically famous for it's sock mills. I'm in work boots all day as a contractor, and I swear by merino wool socks for all but the hottest days of summer! If you're looking for the warmest socks, just make sure you check the percentage of merino wool in the yarn used to make the socks. This seller usually lists the yarns in the socks. There is apparently no standard for quantifying the title 'merino socks'. I typically only buy socks with at least 60% merino wool. The best deal from this seller is usually for 4-6 pairs of socks at a time, and shipping is usually free. I've been buying from this seller exclusively for about 5 years.

As most outdoor people probably know, wool absorbs moisture (sweat) effectively and also continues to insulate in spite of that moisture. Wool also cushions well for comfortable wear all day.

I have had great success on eBay buying socks from a seller called- nysock. He's located in Syracuse, NY which apparently is historically famous for it's sock mills. I'm in work boots all day as a contractor, and I swear by merino wool socks for all but the hottest days of summer!

The best deal from this seller is usually for 4-6 pairs of socks at a time, and shipping is usually free. I've been buying from this seller exclusively for about 5 years.

Patrick, thanks, I’ll have to look into Nysocks. I’m not an E-Bayer, but those sound like a good deal. I am also sold on Merino or Merino blend wool, excepting the usual cost. Does Nysock have a website site or a vendor off E-Bay?

I am really digging the thematic Christmas gift idea of Y’all get nothing but socks this year! One year everything was red. One year everything had to do with birds (field guides, feeders, what’s that, bird seed & suet in your stocking?). One year everything had to do with warmth; car seat sheepskins, winter gloves and hats and, the most appreciated Christmas gift ever, a heated computer mouse for my wife’s Raynauld’s frozen fingers.

One year each gift had a scavenger-hunt clue leading to the next gift; the first gift clue was “Call the dog”, the next gift/clue was on the dog’s collar, the next in the attic, in the basement, out in the yard. The last was buried in a snowdrift next to an oft-visited foxhole a Christmas Day hike away from the house.

I pulled the trigger on some Duray three packs. Plural, two three packs. Unstylish Daddy get the two grey pair (to wear with his fuzzy winter Crocs, out in public no less), the boys each get two pair in either blue or black. I am wearing them now (with Crocs), have been for several days, and may wear little else sock-wise this winter.

The Duray’s are very warm and very comfy. Thick, but not so thick I can’t fit in my usual shoes or boots. And the 60/40 wool nylon blend isn’t itchy, so I don’t need to wear thin sock liner as with some 100% wool socks.

I still need to find a deal on thin Marino/Smartwool or etc (synthetic?) liner socks. To go sock-wise in my own Christmas stocking; on any off-season trip my footwear is liner socks, under WP breathable Gore-tex Seal skinz socks, under WP mukboots bought a half-size large, so I can still wiggle my toes.

I am down to 1 ½ pair of thin Smartwool liner socks. Or perhaps ¾” of a pair, all worn see-through thin.

.... I have had great success on eBay buying socks from a seller called- nysock...

Quick update. I bought 2 pairs from him. Both developed a hole and unraveled from there during the first time they were worn. Bad enough if you buy them for yourself. If you give them away as gifts, it adds a whole lot of embarrassment.

I am very pleased with the DuRay socks that Scoutergriz recommended. I have worn them every day for a month now (yes, washed occasionally) and don’t envision wearing other wool socks this winter.

When they wear out I’ll be buying them again.

Back