• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cold Handle Curious

Reaction score
I've seen a number of posts here referring to "cold handle" pans but I can't find a primer on what makes them desirable for canoe camping or what to look for (and what to look out for) when buying one. Do any of the forum's cold handle evangelicals want to take a crack at a sort of explainer for cold handle curious folks like me? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I was also curious about them alsg and recently got some on ebay. What I have found is that they are very light and transfer heat very quickly and when well seasoned have a good non stick surface. I had one out on one trip so far and was very pleased, it worked so well with eggs that it is now my dedicated egg pan at home. I also cooked up some king salmon in one which is usually a job I do with a cast iron pan with high heat and it worked well for that too.

The only downside to them is that they seem like they could easily be bent during transport and you need to be very attentive to how much heat you are applying because of the rapid heat transfer. I would say that they lived up to the hype and you should grab one if you can. If you do get one and it has a coating of crud like mine did try removing it with sandpaper. It was the only thing that worked after even after some serious scrubbing with a Brillo pad failed.

What are they made out of? Was there more than one manufacturer? Are some considered more desirable than others? Curious minds want to know!

Ok I am a big fan here, and that is Sweeper's fault!! I have one that I use on every trip, and 2 that are waiting for some clean up( I got all 3 from the same "dealer", I don't know where and how he gets them, and I don't ask questions;))

So, what makes them great, First they are light, they are sturdy and have no stupid coatings, they are deep, and the handle is long and as the name refer the handle stay cool during use even on the fire!!

They are made of sheet metal, they are tin, I don't threat mine gently, but it live in my wanigan, there was many many different brand so I guess there must have been a few manufacturer!!

Attachments

• photo12046.jpg
    photo12046.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12047.jpg
    photo12047.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12048.jpg
    photo12048.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12049.jpg
    photo12049.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12050.jpg
    photo12050.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12051.jpg
    photo12051.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12052.jpg
    photo12052.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1
I like cold handle frying pans too, a friend showed me one a while back and I was hooked. I always carry one on the top of my pack, under the flap, the handle sticks out a little. I could never keep mine seasoned, I just use some oil or butter to prevent sticking. Sometimes it works, other times it's a mess. Like Lowangle Al said, it transfers heat fast.

Here's a 7" (cooking surface), it's an Acme #2,. It has developed two cracks where the handle meets the pan but they have been there a long time so I just keep putting off having my son weld it. It has a little pouring spout on one side of the pan, that's helpful but not a deal breaker. Acme was a pretty popular cold handle manufacturer.

2_rxfJ_fl6sZJnPx7l_gqAiOOcjE0SKRd35oTJVgYrm8JI4taK_c_57Ou94UIGCs2Qh8EEsi57QxLK2yU-0si2q8M1Pq_cHN8DsnyKK7l7hcb2kAlyQgnNin7DhujUgaVx3gO-Pyx29UubI8Eo2kZVOIGZvcAuMAFLKSBjxiQsBWCtUo_8XQVPwX7eKv94zK_vUtzhKw_RBJq8LY9aDjOS-bsF_1XHW1-TAonpkO7eoJeVVvS-BaX0BrNsJWqm7iuzLslA3O5VeKprYfTaS7PSdSJHzJSPvFGlYDwXndx9_pdHbqi55wQntJ6r72_9Xtk0BRihS3b3WcMg-6WUKCoKYvenzaJyHdmlmPGszrnZfqoYekEY-UIzw-Bn-8NV5Zq7wTwoYILeFSoYEvYmSgQluDJ1vpwg-F7FLARKga0S_BTQPiDwX32woPpIq0tpOIHJFyq0O8h7B2A4ZmBkS5LaogWPRlzWcWLNOh4llKwFKI3xWxbIn3lqybx1dWzI8zepemzr3fI-axB9Bct8xujrazuPnRPmVhGwgtP87JVQfYIriH_pLtN5L2WnI0THLPtQ4OLXnXoid1by-mYGEYxpZfZShjaqLlmAyhmgUtmGUocs__Cfxm4bkfvBMRDQk3cdMClakOYNHcRgcg9hbjC3Go9iudlYI=w718-h539-no

This is a 8" pan by Cold Handle, it's a #43 model. I use this at home as well, well I used to, my wife thinks it's rough on her glass stove surface so I only use it when she's away...haha, or to cook onions and venison cubes in butter outside on the grill. I take either one on a trip, 7 or 8" but only one pan.

ECNBU_Zhintyj8-wq8kFmAV5mJT18e8U-Gssp_igUIWNM8pqJ25dcEl0EoISpBZ_KvP117_9QSyA9cW9DXIa0BE-N_sYsyDIhzS2AtozmgVhENBX7QHT1fRAhdV8QzPamtCNZKDzZKxgkgNPpGzDsGAet-NAvkSi-x6rPwYEyoVP075UgLN41n00OwH5I4U1jSx6Ijc5wF7B5yJ-b5o-WS1tTQ7hmYeOS6mlIhksG1DlBhDSvDV495iNG_7s09Ci_qVKgR8aI-TYKAxQOOATEmxURJqgxd9fYk1hvdrCA71EAhkRtM1Z4qUEb3CibHx_wGekNeYalUmd_cmd8B3J4TDOmj48ijQxSFhAWGVorcG0U5nfb0D8_-eEhzhYj6WEfd8EBjwExJKZCX3HIKI6yrofTXxgjNwz8hfMWyhuNsZ1XlfAzrwJMypXGJ5ZoPRrhuzc2YYNmGt5E7HypcYrmzat3ncd6EsbK-ueFBhdKYFjbtO5gRBWS83bHe0iOZ7N7sIyPuEXnwPlfDWC8ipFH1wSiwHf9UchPz9hy81jbFKa9Y4Ykg63f5a1Zf8li3wrgKfexTSZ97Zfagn5FUd9b5WLgeeZDCYbdxcA2TStmhph7KL50OmD2rA6a97BUve2TxFJJ8mfUs_3sWDVTK1Mu6ENIl6fKrI=w1010-h757-no

They tend to warp on the cooking surface, but you can pound them flat if needed. They rust if not left with some oil on them too. They will never compete with modern day anti stick pans but they stay the same forever, which can't be said for modern pans.

I like my gear on the more traditional side and I rarely buy new stuff, these pans fit right into my style.

A couple of days worth of hash browns

Lz_TofpGBnJJzyBAEIxVQx3eBCrPb-mIbBmbrPYwJPk52R6pvmCnEffxT82jn-FE_mq2jrZP6_C-VvSb_vCeTdN6wnoGN6WDpJpyJfu8F6cHzg2-WwOw4ts5jTAeDHM7bn5VXwTn0zn3bHG90mQj3dvqJVXkz-OZtYMwBzDk0tRPIQq97JGBhm7Ih_iPjMqSRD1z9xEfUo7jEpF65PMEjqxZh3-pU5huLFPT0ZH067hiq3ZaZh8dVyEgEcgZihJE0FiORCvw2YQzd2mk10FdQN00WLQZhCa6zbXB5cEahjseHu-MEV7-HDui4lqPMTTV0ywYOCTzYRzXiZ4X4Fzwjhj_WV56jmvi81rgPptkZgraBtOM3Kkq8BGrCDwTqvRYzRtmOGiQYOHTc-4lWlbgPKlHjD9uHYYAYXouBSNaYwyAEf1W0clN6ezQR-cmu2QpH9w0SLmJDpCSbwyrWkgFnzXBLz032JTGpvU5aXRzVEbdNMqmC7iWxdpIafAM7oai_JPi2-F0yO4K5CpjvurREi65fQYl9kXa5TnqesbnWsr-WqnMsuTSjd-fIunCeymTom5vK9J-cN2LlrcLEfgjVRAiLbaWaolSPp-nDoaEc9ama-ceP_AC9-7-h4CBqEb-bb3TLY7e9-HYl2S4aHd6WD2cAFa6SO8=w1010-h757-no

Eggs come out pretty good on them,

2OPb5tnQ5MuVYizCJOXYDFC5GiPN0NXSzA6gTbAE8MTZgd6sR4Femfx-e2FJEibSO70QBFJ7VCZ53QKDAUSW5H4DUAXuo1HOja9Z76P5HMmW-PllkfgltFl-PBrYeE0pM_J5_l4slPSWm1ZiraVXU8bdmEvUYw3eK09dGiC4GZleOxSE0SoHA9DXM-uWLaDjY7M-uluhF0TC10qKJKtfqIsgI_E5fVaCmvyciNxzIGOm0Xh3BEpNORsax6nSQ2p5YlAlMgZLizbkw0XCpMu4jy30xmU6vubfLCH5V7MM0y6VSO4t8pgGwR3X08QM6SJrQiLotkiBjn4ABxXsilNxLnbqP2CxFl_i5ezmIFI9HBGODekrZR-x5C7ishNHmhAexyQ1xFIKCDMSbc9uhRHWx9QcwoFL2sp-DOGemnhl768TgRfD0XWM30BwpEnOIbk2e0Ea7mVxifYNk8kka-vRzxaVumYtu4yCXf2PvjryCebHVPc2tNuNSeVOWBJgseqBusnhe2yKTNexM7X9JBf1QiQNLNg9wWIkRQoLnD8Z7c-1PkpblB8xEHgtW8duMGzPb3pU4XnFJ5ZvyeYOLKmRasoefP4WBCd6ojxM7YSk71ZAt7t0Qwj55BekN7xyHaBoiQW4AiShXblaT6eQtyH0kV7R6_iv9dI=w640-h480-no

Fresh caught walleye's too,

wVFzt2-EJTtz5l6DSe5JOmzK7Btu36WZnz6RgKyVIGGJ-zwCue33VR9TdD75QTCrL3LxnniiTZ5A7V6Zs9f2F2Q4CB5seTUdIyWy5d_7JJlxlYsaIzAkQuPrWe8406OLj1p1BKExGpVSrGvGkpWeVoTqa5OBfH620wHab4eJtHmVg_VO0A7i-Gvk-M1LDMpctoyGx0hKc_Djvvv1JmVtdLtUP7ibh0wXNJ3thCptt2c9xIUGs_W9EDZiPY_aVPJOk6wi4EsO_msxhysV44bFnAhBANayamNowoUJtVqpUHHmJRUHZsHusCJTszGVtjyq6PLIy7Y_LB4KYufXUATSCA9_MOLN5uqkRgf5gKF84PYBoiTpzDblPR3zIkCWcD8dKM1wk7IG3gkLbUilVV5jVMkcGdKsK7VMBVVEG-dnUO6w1mTN4D_svhCpVzakE8hs8hdg40hGHR9m-rt-IUoxMYeayAp_0VlAJHTzW5wM7LDTwWDm07aMpWeCpjOTljPMWq7MtTtpwkX0qN_o1Mx4b05MZ2pao1j6_4DKamL1SqoLCUPX8W8lI9kAP-MdausUdhX-2ivJ9MyzREpWEyENto4G-YP-YbIxEkeTwGG51q1r3G1jXkkv9ykcOb-RYYHGHEnagKNW5VoEYtBmv_NoMCON6KP28BY=w1010-h757-no

and of course pancakes, I love ppancakes out on the trail,

Nl-Tu_rXzXxjIT0gWRqilcTZsa0yLN7jQyhP61tNjZd6wIOCwhYhZKaW-9Su-k3SdpB_xVxM3stBPA8tIt9pvKnFY8Ka0wwDnLu7_44nQPhZehMg_bq_hwRSviXLZmIN3wdNh4va79u0S_I1MiR6s3MIAPpyONaY6Wbe9kW4ovegyn3EfOqLuzc2je1GeHjQpg2OrzVbPDoGtSgpu7zv3CWN7sbbYqqP9-IHn9jo-8_GUQCockvJaKeqWEK7DoEQDvIuieN1Nsaj_K0qV3ANitsvtBgYag3K8XGRDV0EqcRZdzaho8xyHOm4Z4edZJjUP8zyMwUis491ZvCce_4DpR07N8xK_eObElVW3dFOjO-ZMNcK-p4oP6eXD59hPwKMasPl73sDF8Golrg4owy8Gt09uPPh4Tkw-EzjO368pznqkvp2mdPwlNsEz9KHx4yYtNCwtRCmUzO7oBrjRRhDS8uuznPZH6rbFdXUl76S7ffj0CRCdG63JrCqn1IM4LeC0jfhBdUEfzxLgadK7WWdwb8Otl0QQ3MBTzg583oek6-2rUYxj2y1Au3AMy_dv7sQ4vZMM799845AOANUWOFxh6uUt9Nj2dBh5VmdDjq1pDKVSfuoqoOzX1zg1_Yt1y4V9I_9rU1GsJKzoV3wc6KyIHQbKPvcF58=w640-h480-no

Last edited:
Here are some pics of mine on its first trip this May. The moose was a mistake and I couldn't delete it.

Attachments

• photo12057.jpg
    photo12057.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo12058.jpg
    photo12058.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 2
  • photo12059.jpg
    photo12059.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2
In the "Cooking Gear" selection they fit in between Cast Iron and Light Weight pans. I find them all over usually for less than $10. The most I've spent is $20 for a 14"

Four for $20 a few weeks ago

I've added some to this collection and shipped some of them

Ha the lids... I would love to find a large one with a matching lid.... Just saying lol!

My generously gifted cold handle needs my attention. It's acquired a quaint patina of rust. I'll try to photograph before and after pics as I treat it for use. There's a cedar stump out back that I'm thinking will be a perfect fit for pounding out the metal undulations in the bottom of the pan. If I do this right I may no longer need to chase my eggs and pancakes over hill and dale before sliding them out onto my plate. Those lids look similar to the kind I've seen on old stock pots.

I've never used a cold handle pan but some years ago an older couple gave me two 11" pans in very good shape that they hadn't used in years. Now that we are going to be camping out of our (canoe and sea kayaks after a several year break) I figure that it's time to recondition them. One is an Acme stamped number 5 and the other is stamped with a 45 and has no name on it but has a raised logo on the handle that looks like a wheel with five spokes.

EDIT: If anyone can shed some light on the pan with the wheel(?) logo I'd be very interested.

They both have flat bottoms with a layer of soot cooked on them and no cracks at the base of the handles or anywhere else and both have two pour spouts. They had very light surface rust in spots which I removed with white vinegar and before too long I'll clean them in an electrolysis bath as I also have several new-to-me cast iron pieces to clean. Then they'll get several coats of flax seed oil baked on them and it'll be time to try them over coals. Given all the stoves and cookware we already have it will be interesting to see how they fit into the mealtime rotation....

EDIT: When I get finished with the restoration I'll post some pictures......

Best regards to all,

Lance

Last edited:
I've never used a cold handle pan but some years ago an older couple gave me two 11" pans in very good shape that they hadn't used in years. Now that we are going to be camping out of our (canoe and sea kayaks after a several year break) I figure that it's time to recondition them. One is an Acme stamped number 5 and the other is stamped with a 45 and has no name on it but has a raised logo on the handle that looks like a wheel with five spokes.

EDIT: If anyone can shed some light on the pan with the wheel(?) logo I'd be very interested.

They both have flat bottoms with a layer of soot cooked on them and no cracks at the base of the handles or anywhere else and both have two pour spouts. They had very light surface rust in spots which I removed with white vinegar and before too long I'll clean them in an electrolysis bath as I also have several new-to-me cast iron pieces to clean. Then they'll get several coats of flax seed oil baked on them and it'll be time to try them over coals. Given all the stoves and cookware we already have it will be interesting to see how they fit into the mealtime rotation....

EDIT: When I get finished with the restoration I'll post some pictures......

Best regards to all,

Lance
Real nice!! Good for you!! They are great pans!!

I cleaned and seasoned my resident pan, and in the throes of off season planning/dreaming I packed up the smaller of the 2 wannigans. I then wondered if maybe there wasn't room enough for more stuff. With that in mind I emailed my southern big brother if maybe in the next several months he might keep his eyes open on his weekend wanderings for a cold handle pan or two for his little brother. And if he was coming up north next summer maybe he could find room for the new found pans? I received a text message the very next day. "Pulled the trigger on 2 cold handle pans off EBay, a 6" and an 8". They'll be here in a week or so. I'll bring'em up next June for a canoe trip. Start planning." I wondered a) if one "pulls the trigger" on fry pans, or is there a more appropriate expression to be used? , b) how rusty and beat up might the pans be, and would I have time to prep them for the trip? and c) what made him think I hadn't already planned everything? In any case I guess I'll find out next June. Com'on June!

Last edited:
He phoned later and we got to talking. I mentioned that I couldn't wait to "bannock condition" the pans. ie Make some bannock with them. He told me that although he'd eaten bannock before he'd never actually made any himself. "Is it anything like Mom's scones?" Well yes, but no, but yes. Looks like we'll have to condition the pans together in the old fashioned way.
Bannock-2.jpg

I cleaned and seasoned my resident pan, and in the throes of off season planning/dreaming I packed up the smaller of the 2 wannigans. I then wondered if maybe there wasn't room enough for more stuff. With that in mind I emailed my southern big brother if maybe in the next several months he might keep his eyes open on his weekend wanderings for a cold handle pan or two for his little brother. And if he was coming up north next summer maybe he could find room for the new found pans? I received a text message the very next day. "Pulled the trigger on 2 cold handle pans off EBay, a 6" and an 8". They'll be here in a week or so. I'll bring'em up next June for a canoe trip. Start planning." I wondered a) if one "pulls the trigger" on fry pans, or is there a more appropriate expression to be used? , b) how rusty and beat up might the pans be, and would I have time to prep them for the trip? and c) what made him think I hadn't already planned everything? In any case I guess I'll find out next June. Com'on June!

last we check we are mare weeks to 2020 and with all its technologie, I'm sure you could find out about the pans state of usability pretty easily.... Like;"Hey bro, text me some pics of the pans when you get a chance! Where do you wanna go and for how long on that canoe trip next june....." type things....

Canot you sound like my sister-in-law "You boys never talk!!" Haha. She's right. But we will. I already know he's preferring a base camp type of trip, the locale is up to me. He's retiring and wants this trip to be done at a standstill. I think I can arrange that. I'm not really bothered with whatever condition the pans will be in. A surprise to look forward to. Speaking of which, I came across an enamelled cold handle pan the other day in a local flea market. I managed to "just walk away, don't reach into your pocket and don't look back..." We'll see how long that lasts. I may end up with a collection if I'm not careful. Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.

Back