No announcement yet.

Cold Handle Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cleaned and seasoned my resident pan, and in the throes of off season planning/dreaming I packed up the smaller of the 2 wannigans. I then wondered if maybe there wasn't room enough for more stuff. With that in mind I emailed my southern big brother if maybe in the next several months he might keep his eyes open on his weekend wanderings for a cold handle pan or two for his little brother. And if he was coming up north next summer maybe he could find room for the new found pans? I received a text message the very next day. "Pulled the trigger on 2 cold handle pans off EBay, a 6" and an 8". They'll be here in a week or so. I'll bring'em up next June for a canoe trip. Start planning." I wondered a) if one "pulls the trigger" on fry pans, or is there a more appropriate expression to be used? , b) how rusty and beat up might the pans be, and would I have time to prep them for the trip? and c) what made him think I hadn't already planned everything? In any case I guess I'll find out next June. Com'on June!
    Last edited by Odyssey; 12-12-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

He phoned later and we got to talking. I mentioned that I couldn't wait to "bannock condition" the pans. ie Make some bannock with them. He told me that although he'd eaten bannock before he'd never actually made any himself. "Is it anything like Mom's scones?" Well yes, but no, but yes. Looks like we'll have to condition the pans together in the old fashioned way.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Bannock-2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	102050

Comment

Originally posted by Odyssey View Post
        I cleaned and seasoned my resident pan, and in the throes of off season planning/dreaming I packed up the smaller of the 2 wannigans. I then wondered if maybe there wasn't room enough for more stuff. With that in mind I emailed my southern big brother if maybe in the next several months he might keep his eyes open on his weekend wanderings for a cold handle pan or two for his little brother. And if he was coming up north next summer maybe he could find room for the new found pans? I received a text message the very next day. "Pulled the trigger on 2 cold handle pans off EBay, a 6" and an 8". They'll be here in a week or so. I'll bring'em up next June for a canoe trip. Start planning." I wondered a) if one "pulls the trigger" on fry pans, or is there a more appropriate expression to be used? , b) how rusty and beat up might the pans be, and would I have time to prep them for the trip? and c) what made him think I hadn't already planned everything? In any case I guess I'll find out next June. Com'on June!
        last we check we are mare weeks to 2020 and with all its technologie, I'm sure you could find out about the pans state of usability pretty easily.... Like;"Hey bro, text me some pics of the pans when you get a chance! Where do you wanna go and for how long on that canoe trip next june....." type things....

Comment

Maybe this pair?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32397807005...m=323978070058

Sold November 17

More that have sold recently including single listings for a 6" & 8" around the same time.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Comment

Canot you sound like my sister-in-law "You boys never talk!!" Haha. She's right. But we will. I already know he's preferring a base camp type of trip, the locale is up to me. He's retiring and wants this trip to be done at a standstill. I think I can arrange that. I'm not really bothered with whatever condition the pans will be in. A surprise to look forward to. Speaking of which, I came across an enamelled cold handle pan the other day in a local flea market. I managed to "just walk away, don't reach into your pocket and don't look back..." We'll see how long that lasts. I may end up with a collection if I'm not careful. Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.

Comment

Originally posted by recped View Post
              Maybe this pair?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32397807005...m=323978070058

Sold November 17

More that have sold recently including single listings for a 6" & 8" around the same time.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1
              Those prices are a little high especially with shipping for what I pay for them, usually $5 in consignment shops around here.

Comment

The way the guy in the photo is holding hand, you can almost see a smart phone in it. He just finished googling "How to bake Bannock, using a open fire?"
                "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

Working...
                X