• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Creating a wanigan...........

G

I just made a wanigan out of 1"x12" pine, and 1/4 inch birch plywood.
Not happy with size(not enough volume), and think I should have used more plywood to cut down weight.

I am totally open to suggestions, and constructive feedback. I am not a carpenter by any means.
Photos of your wanigan would also be helpful.
My typical wood working efforts are trial & error.

I have included photos of the one I made.

Help appreciated.

BOB

P.S. Mine will used in basecamp setting; does not have to fit in bilge of a canoe. I'm thinking the NRS strap will be enough to foil the majority of coons; it will not be used for food storage, and will probably get thrown in back of pickup with securable camper shell every night anyway.

Attachments

• photo6962.png
    photo6962.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo6963.png
    photo6963.png
    298 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6964.JPG
    photo6964.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Joker, you seem familiar.

I will undertake to respond to your question. My credentials are that I've never made, used or even seen a wanigan in person, and that I'm the most incompetent woodworker on all canoe forums.

Personally, I like your box and especially your single blade decorations, although I doubt that plywood was the traditional Ojibwa wood of choice.

I do like canoe history and perhaps you do too. So, my contribution is to remind you -- if you were born in 1942 -- of the article about making wanigans you may have forgotten from the July 1953 issue of Boys Life magazine. HERE is the page, including a related article on making a tump strap for the wanigan; and HERE are additional pages from that edition of the magazine.

Looks pretty good to me, way better than the stuff I craft up. If the volume isn't what you want build a bigger one, using this one for your morning brew kit. I like to keep a bag with everything I need to make coffee for when I am traveling down the highway. Then I can just pull into a wayside rest or pullout to brew up a mug of coffee that beats anything I can buy at any other place. I can also stretch my legs for the entire stop, which seems to make further travel more enjoyable.

No Title

Glenn, I'll bet you know me by another name.
I started the Old School Canoes post on another website you frequent.
I'm more of a lurker here; reading & getting different info., input, and view points.
I "was" born in 1942.
Have been paddling over 50 years; even after taking a 12 year break in the U.S. Army.

Love Blackhawk canoes, and older whitewater solos by Perception, Whitesell, Mad River & and Dagger.
Also love the 2 Lotus, and the 1965 Chestnut Pal I have.

Have finished basic construction of wanigan # 2. It is a little narrower, but is longer in length, and taller in height. Will be doing a little more sanding, adding grab loops, staining it, and may do a little decoration, but not much. Will post photos when completed.

Am still interested in constructive feedback & seeing any photos of wanigans that others made.
Know there must be some; perhaps stashed away in a basement, garage or shed, gathering dust. I really love the older canoes, paddles, gear, and canoeing history.

thebob.com

Attachments

• photo6965.jpg
    photo6965.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo6966.jpg
    photo6966.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6967.jpg
    photo6967.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6968.jpg
    photo6968.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6969.jpg
    photo6969.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6970.jpg
    photo6970.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6971.jpg
    photo6971.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6972.jpg
    photo6972.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
No Title

Here are two wannigans I made out of plywood. They're on the large side - 13x18x27", but they fit well in a 17' Prospector. All the joints are glued and screwed.

Attachments

• photo6973.JPG
    photo6973.JPG
    703 KB · Views: 4
I like yours there Bob

Nice one Paddler123

Here's mine made out of plywood. I'm no woodworker either but just like Paddler123 mine is screwed and glued. A little too big but great with the wall tent.

Nice workmanship paddler 123.

Robin, you posted while I was answering paddler 123. Wanted to say thanks for posting the photos, showing your wanigan being used.
Yours is definitely larger than my first and second effort. Dimensions are not written in stone.
The final analysis; do you like it, feel good about making it, and does it serve your intended purpose. I'll bet you can answer yes to all, as can paddler 123.

Paddler 123, I'm positive yours are lighter than either of mine. On my new effort the bottom and 2 end pieces are of 1/12.
Birch plywood was used on lid top, front & back sides. It will be larger than my first effort, but might actually weigh less?

Making them is a fun, inexpensive, positive use of free time.
Sometimes a slightly frustrating project (if you lack carpentry skills as I do).
In the final analysis; mine will be used, serve my intended purpose, and I'll feel good that I made them myself.

BOB

P.S. I do glue all the seams/joints.

Last edited:
No Title

You got me curious about the weight, so I got one out to measure. It's about 13 lbs, although that's by me weighing myself on a bathroom scale holding it, so it's not super precise. In the picture I posted above each one has about 100 lbs of food in it, so the weight of the box is not super important - the sturdiness of the wannigans was more important in their design than the weight. The four sides are 5/16" plywood, the bottom and lid are 1/2".

Since I got it out I thought I'd take a picture of the inside to show the aluminum corner brackets. For the four vertical corners, the screws go through the plywood into tapped holes in the aluminum. The brackets are also glued in place. The bottom piece is thicker plywood, so the sides are screwed straight into it without aluminum brackets.

As for dimensions, it depends on how you intend to use it. Mine are for heavy portaging, so they're tall and wide, but not as deep (13") as some to keep the weight closer to your body when tumping. My trip canoe is wide and deep, so these wannigans fit inside no problem. In a smaller canoe they might be too big, especially in width.

Attachments

• photo6975.jpg
    photo6975.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6976.jpg
    photo6976.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 3
Here is a link to a Wanigan that I have thought of building, it from a Canadian Canoe Routes forum.
Looks like a very traditional one in every aspect, one I would love to have. This Wanigan seems very well thought out. The length and height can be changed easily, width if you are limited to standard lumber will be limited or a glue job for wider than 1x12 White Pine boards that I can find.
I also saw a beautiful wood burned, artsy one this forum that you should try a search for. Also some Wanigans made like a wood & canvas canoe, all above my skill level.

Nice wannigan build project article; I really enjoyed the photos.
Like the idea of incorporating the lid & handles.
I'm pretty sure I'd have to have a pro standing beside me; advising me on every move to produce that beauty.
It's is a utilitarian piece of art in my opinion. Would be a nice heirloom hand me down to a son.

BOB

Wannigans. I don't "get" 'em. Well, in 1953, sure. But these days, just get a Rubbermaid Action Packer box. The folks that introduced me to backcountry canoe camping used to talk reverently about them. I pictured a box that was shaped with a concave bottom that would match the curvature of the hull, maybe with some folding legs to set it up in camp. I was pretty disappointed when I figured out wannigans were basically boxes.

Be that as it may, I recently built a plywood box to provide floatation for a kinetic sculpture. I tested the box for leaks by filling it up with water. There were no leaks. The box was built of half-inch plywood. The joints were gorilla glue backed by half-inch square nailers that I ripped from various pieces of scrap. I used 3/4" brads and every long clamp I owned to hold things in place while the glue set. I throw this out for the information of potential wannigan builders. Gorilla glue claims to be waterproof, and if I were to build a wanningan, I would want it to be waterproof. Good luck and enjoy your wanningans.!

Chip

I submit to you the proposition that a wooden wannigan is more appealing to the eye than a Rubbermaid you bought at Weird World.
Wannigans are heavier due to the material used, but it is also stronger, and will last longer.
Weigh of wannigans will not be an issue for me; I'll be using mine when base camping.
Pull it out of the pickup, set it under a rainfly, and that's where it stays, until I reload it in the truck.

Plastic boxes; people have 100s of millions of them; certainly utilitarian, but butt ugly to the core. Nobody will have a wannigan like the one you design and make for yourself. It will be as unique as you want it to be.
Have a son, nephew, or other relative you're going to pass on your plastic boxes too, when you hang up your paddle?

Wannigans are utilitarian, inexpensive to make, and making them is a constructive use of free time. They're also fun to make.

Brings to mind the people who paddle wood/canvas canoes; as opposed to fiberglass, Royalex, Kevlar, or plastic.
So 1953 eh?
NOT!
To each his own...........

BOB
;^/

No Title

Here is version 2 in its natural setting.

Attachments

• photo6978.jpg
    photo6978.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6979.jpg
    photo6979.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6980.jpg
    photo6980.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
Wannigan wars!! Gentlemen, start your dremmels.
I'm intrigued by the wooden box, but put off by the weight. Weight after-all is a factor in my tripping or not, and the reason for paddling a plastic canoe versus the more traditional wood canvas. But hold on there, wc followed the bark canoe just like plywood followed the plank board. Just where does traditional stop and modern start? Is there anyone who fondly looks on aluminium as traditional yet? Some day kids will sit at their granddad's knee next to the fire and ask "Please grandpa, tell me again about the Roy, Roy..." "Royalex son. Well let me see, it was waaay back in..." Technology advances and so do we, if we choose to. I'm not always a willing participant of changing times and these technologies and skills, but I sure have benefitted by them. No, I won't be lovingly passing on my Rubbermaid totes to my kids (that's funny!) but my fugly blue barrels sure fit my tripping needs if not any aesthetics. (I doubt they're lighter than some wannigans, but sure have other qualities.) As much as I love the traditional stuff, and I really do, I've a need to consider more pragmatic possibilities in boat and gear selection. But being a contrary kind of guy I am considering making a wannigan. Okay, probably two of them. One plywood and another plank. I have some tools, and some skills, and some wood...and it is a nice idea to build them, trip with them, and then save them for the next generation.
Nice work Joker. I like that box.

*Wannigans. I don't "get" 'em. Well, in 1953, sure. The folks that introduced me to backcountry canoe camping used to talk reverently about them.

* insert "wooden canoes" "wood rails" "beavertail paddles" "canvas packs" "wool clothes" "wood stoves" "open fires" "canvas tents" "4by4 trucks" "sheath knives" "bush coffee" "bacon" "tobacco" "booze" "leather" "trip reports;)"

The wannigan Jason built has appeal beyond the attractiveness of wood. I like wood, but I'm not going to carry wood around just for its looks. The utility of Jason's wannigan has me thinking maybe there is a reason for wannigans--this must be what my mentors were talking about when extolling the virtues of wannigans. Jason's wanningan is more than just a box.

I've got nothing against wood or the ways of the past. I rehabbed and paddled a wood canoe, so I appreciate the art and craft of them, but mostly I liked the lively feel while paddling, a feel no other boat material provides. My favorite paddle is a Shaw & Tenney 150 (beavertail). I've hauled trees to the saw mill for no other reason than I knew the boards would be beautiful. I "get" most of Robin's list, though some are not for me. But wannigans, the boxes, no. Maybe, I just never got over the disappointment of thinking the wannigan was more than a box.

I'm not knocking wannigan users or fans. If a wannigan pleases them and meets their needs, who am I to judge?

The major disadvantage I see with plastic boxes is their shape. They are mass produced and designed by the makers for convenient shipping, meaning the bottoms are smaller than the tops so that they can be nested during shipping. So they fail to deliver the volume of storage their footprint promises. And if you tightly pack two of them side be side, there ends up being a lot of empty space between them at the bottom. Certainly not perfect.

A plastic box is also too flimsy to attach straps. The Action Packer stays home if the trip has more than a minimal carry. I can't imagine trying to rig the thing with carry straps because there are better ways to pack for the trail. So, a wannigan has the advantage there, so long as you don't mind carrying the ten or twenty pounds extra weight. I do. And as much as I love wood, on trail I love a light pack more. Call me shallow.

Like a good piece of utility gear, a nicely made wannigan will see use year round. I have an old one, it sits by the basement stairs collecting bits of firewood and kindling for a rainy day fire, the rest of the year it might be car camping or working as a travelling tool box. I also use one for the hard water season, it is sized to fit nicely on the toboggan. I like a size about 13 x 22 and from 13-18" roughly high. The organization it offers, the hard surfaces to put pots, pans, stove up off the ground to save wear and tear on the old knees - much appreciated.

There are probably as many pluses as minuses to their usage out on the lakes. Mine are 1/4" birch ply w fiberglass tape and expoxy to hold them together (no fasteners), makes them strong, waterproof, fairly light and durable. I have two that have small dividers in them, but find that what I normally wish for is more flat space & height. (ala a scout chuck box).

At home they serve as gear organizers or pre-trip packing boxes. And they can be customized with any manner of paint, varnish, drawings, rope, leather, etc to truly make them yours. That being said, plenty of times when only canoe packs, waterproof bags or such are going to be the ticket.

Vive la Choice!

Back