• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Takedown Skillet

Look well made.. That said All Best Made products are not necessarily great... And lots of it is over priced compare to the same product same brand same manufacturer else where... But this one is probably hard to find elsewhere since they say it is made for them!!

I like my cold handle frying pan, but the handle is somewhat of a problem. I just pack it across the top of the pack and the handle sticks out a little.

This skillet looks nice, 1/2 the weight of a cast iron frying pan is beefy.

Last edited:
Did that really say $98.00??? While I don't remember the maker at the moment, I have a fry pan/skillet at home that has both a lid and folding handle. The handle folds in over the pan and the lid sits on top. Very compact and pretty light. It's not particularly big but it definitely works for my needs.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

That's almost the perfect pan, except for the price. Maybe it's worth $100. My camp pans each have folding handles, but they don't fold all the way to fit snugly inside the pans. As a result they don't really nest inside one another. They also don't fit into the 30L barrel. (grrrrr!) I found a cold handle fry pan made by another company. A knock-off? It's old and a little beat up. And big. Soooo the handle doesn't fold, and the pan wouldn't fit into the small barrel, but it sure would fry up a heap of fish, scrambled eggs or Spam in real fine style. I just might go back to that antiques barn and buy it.

Looks like a great pan but I'm with Robin, I like my Cold Handle Pans even if the handle is stationary and like the rest, $100? I'm going to stick with the CHPs and see how well the Fry-Bake covers fit them.

Brad, you now have a 60 litre barrel.

Yes, and thank you greatly for that. It's a prized barrel and harness. A pan of any size should fit now. I probably told you countless times (so I'll tell you again) that I'd like to pack both food and kitchen kit into the same barrel. I'll see how that works out this spring. I should really test this idea and it's portage weight this winter, as cabin fever hasn't quite sunk in just yet. I still have most of my clothes on, not standing in the snowy yard singing at midnight, and haven't mailed our house cats to anyone. Not yet, but give it time. (By the way, what's your address? lol) So before cabin fever sets in I'll try the barrel for total kitchen stuff size.

It's funny, but last weekend when I was looking at that old fry pan hanging on the antiques barn wall I was thinking "Bet that'll fit in the 60L."

Last edited:
One word, FRYBAKE... And if you buy a blemish one it is cheep, they come with a lid, and they are the best period!

I have a folding handle one that I got at MEC about three years ago. Teflon coated and going strong. I totally love it. The handle actually comes right off if I want it to, but the plates and pot and stuff all nest ok so I am happy with it.
I will confess that cast iron pans and I have not had a love affair. It has been more of an abusive relationship, truth be told. When I want to replace any cookwear I first head to the second hand stores to see what I can snag cheap. The MEC frying pan was an impulse buy that worked out really well. I have been mulling over a new one though so who can tell.

Brad ole buddy, the reason we gave you that 60L is because we tended to load too much stuff in it and neither one of us could then lift it. I may yet regret letting it go but I dont think so. I will make the extra walk. It is pretty handy to have the one though if you can manage it. After the halfway point in a trip we were usually able to load all of the kitchen stuff in with the remaining food so I am pretty sure you will be able to do that also. I love barrels as they have so much utility, especially as a place to sit on occasion.

Christy

We probably have the same folding pans Christy. I like them too. As far as cast iron goes, we use our 2 heavy monsters here at home all the time. They're great for stove or BBQ. They take a lot of punishment. Cleaning and re-seasoning from time to time. I don't put steaks on the grill anymore. Pat em dry, rub in some dry seasoning and sear them in the hot dry pan. Smokes like heck. Anyway, turn down the heat and broil in BBQ or oven. Touch em for doneness, pull em off at blue-rare and let em rest awhile under foil. What am I talking about steaks for?? Oh yeah, pans.
I like the looks of the take-down pan but the little voice in my head would insist I bring along extra wing nuts.

I love my cast iron frying pans, I have to of different size that i use at home all the time, in fact I got rid of al non stick crap I use to own, I tried a lot of them, cheep and expensive and they just can't compete with a good cast iron one! I cook every thing in them, eggs, people can't seem to cook eggs in them, I do and they never stick... But on trips, it is FryBake.

As soon as it gets light outside in the morning, I'm going to dig out my carbon steel, Lodge brand fry pan. I will file and knock out the rivets, measure the resulting holes. Then off to the hardware store for the proper size and shape bolts and some wing nuts. Hopefully they will have brass, if not, then stainless steel (need that shiny look for the first fire). I'll save some money, plus I already like the way this skillet cooks. If the skillet doesn't have rivets, I will just hacksaw off the existing handle, rivet/weld on a square socket. In camp I could then whittle a sapling of the most practical length for use. This idea has been around a long time as I have read about it in E. Kreps old book CAMP and TRAIL METHODS.

Yes, and thank you greatly for that. It's a prized barrel and harness. A pan of any size should fit now. I probably told you countless times (so I'll tell you again) that I'd like to pack both food and kitchen kit into the same barrel. I'll see how that works out this spring. I should really test this idea and it's portage weight this winter, as cabin fever hasn't quite sunk in just yet. I still have most of my clothes on, not standing in the snowy yard singing at midnight, and haven't mailed our house cats to anyone. Not yet, but give it time. (By the way, what's your address? lol) So before cabin fever sets in I'll try the barrel for total kitchen stuff size.

It's funny, but last weekend when I was looking at that old fry pan hanging on the antiques barn wall I was thinking "Bet that'll fit in the 60L."

That barrel is sure getting around. We got it as partial payment for a shuttle I did back in 2009 I think for some lads who came up from the States to do the Bloodvein. I rode with them from Winnipeg to Bisset then brought their truck and trailer home, stored it for the week then drove it up to Islandview/Matheson Island where the ferry comes in to get them. Then rode back with them. I was happily unemployed that Summer and it was a great adventure.

Had to google Lodge fry pans. Heck yeah! Nice looking stuff. I better not let my wife see any of that. She already has 2 enameled iron Dutch Ovens on the shelf. She saw an old one in an antiques place but hesitated. It's gone now and she's been kicking herself ever since. Show us how that re-purposed pan works out Boreal. Sounds interesting.
Our 2 Teflon type pans for camping are holding up well, but we baby them. We've gone through so many at home. I'm convinced the trick to using them with any success is to cook over low heat with a spot of oil in the pan. Yeah, I know. What's the sense of non-stick pans if I have to use oil/butter and baby them? I dunno. It's the only way they'll work without disaster. I agree, cast iron seems to outperform nonstick in our kitchen too Canot.
Maybe this barrel isn't finished travelling Mihun. We'll see. If it doesn't work out for us I'll take it on a road trip northwards to wherever you and Iskweo are tripping some summer. Maybe it will have collected some travel stories by then. We're gonna try it out this spring - summer. It may end up holding dry stuff instead of food. We'll see.

I've looked at those lodge frying pan in the past, I was really close to order one, but agin, I have enough frying pans that one more wouldn't be useful...

Step 1: Buy skillet of your choosing. I have a "lightweight" cast iron one (looks like it has been spun on a lathe) plus a thick wall hard anodized one rather like a shallow dutch oven.

Step @: File or grind the heads off the rivets holding handle to pan body, then use a punch to drive what's left of the rivets out so that the handle comes free of the pan

Step 3: Replace rivets with stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. I have filed the holes in the cast iron pan to a square to match a couple of coach bolts I bought from Canadian Tire. The domed heads sit cleanly inside the pan so don't pick up food.

Step 4: Go camping and with the money you saved by alcohol or chocolate.

I need to say some thing here, price is relative, and people have to compare apples to apples, if the stuff is made in a chinese or indian or bangladesh factory, you can't compare the products to some thing made in USA or Canada or UK, since the people over there, Asia, are slave worker, meaning they don't make money to save there lives, wile here and USA and UK, people actually can some what make a living... So please people, stop comparing stuff made in china with stuff made by us, of course the price won't be the same and if the price is the same then you know some one some where is making to much money on the back of others. That said, the axes at best made and a lot of there things used to be way more expensive than the same product else where... Just cause...
As for the skillet, it is made in a factory that I'm sure pays its employees, and that it is made for Best made, you won't find the exact same some where else so the price reflect that. I know a lot of you won't agree with that....

I've looked at those lodge frying pan in the past, I was really close to order one, but agin, I have enough frying pans that one more wouldn't be useful...

We have a lot of old cast iron, especially the "Unmarked" pans, in the consignment shops around here, most of it is far cheaper than a new Lodge.

And by "unmarked" I do mean Wagner and Griswold

Last edited:
I need to say some thing here, price is relative, and people have to compare apples to apples, if the stuff is made in a chinese or indian or bangladesh factory, you can't compare the products to some thing made in USA or Canada or UK, since the people over there, Asia, are slave worker, meaning they don't make money to save there lives, wile here and USA and UK, people actually can some what make a living... So please people, stop comparing stuff made in china with stuff made by us, of course the price won't be the same and if the price is the same then you know some one some where is making to much money on the back of others. That said, the axes at best made and a lot of there things used to be way more expensive than the same product else where... Just cause...
As for the skillet, it is made in a factory that I'm sure pays its employees, and that it is made for Best made, you won't find the exact same some where else so the price reflect that. I know a lot of you won't agree with that....

Some time I wish I had access to those consignment store you guys have down south, up here the only thing you find at the thrift store and pound shop is junk... Some time, but really rarely, you will find a good piece of kit in there, but then they are asking almost full retail price...

Back