• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Coleman Sportster Stove

Reaction score
Hi all, what do you use to protect your single burner Coleman stove? I have a Coleman Sportster duel fuel that I have been keeping in a coffee can, but the lid is just about spent. Anyone got some good, waterproof ideas? Share them!

I have a Coleman Peak 1 and I use this carrying case, keeps the stove in good shape and doubles as a pot.

images

I keep mine in a small orange bag. It keeps the jet clean and is easy for me to see when looking for it in my pack.

Bob.

No Title

I use a plastic storage box made by Wyss. It holds the stove and two pint cans. I think it's called the Sport Locker.
Robin, where did you get the metal box?

Attachments

• photo1720.jpg
    photo1720.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
Wasn't that box issue along with some model of Coleman stove? The idea was that you had your cooking pot and lid as well as something to carry the stove. I seem to remember it had a sort of belt loop where you could insert a pot lifter?

Anybody know why the pictures are so small anymore? I can barely make out any detail. On my screen I can cover the photo with my thumb.

Best Wishes, Rob

I keep my Peak 1 in the drawstring bag it came with. I might spray the bag with some waterproofing. I like the coffee can idea.

The aluminum box is the cook pot set that Coleman made for the Peak 1 stoves. The Peak 1 cookset came with a plier type pot lifter and the pots were simple aluminum stampings. You can occasionally find them on eBay, but there is usually a stove in the deal as well. There was a larger cookset made for the original Sportsman stove and these are also found on eBay. This cookset had the loops on the outside for the pan handle, but a 1" web belt could be threaded through the loops to hold it together. The stoves often sell at a good price and usually work, so it's not a bad deal. The older model 502 Sportster stoves are heavier and bulkier than the Peak 1 stoves, but they are very reliable. I have one that I got in the mid sixties as a kid and it still works.

I just found a youtube vid where if fits perfectly in a 16cm Zebra billy pot with a lockable lid. The pot is a little pricey, but I may go for it when the season starts up again.

Jish, Stay away from those locks on the "lockable lid" they are made of plastic and will melt. You can just pull them off, I did.

Rob

My first picture above was just a picture I found on google search, which when I cut and pasted came out small as it was small from the get go.
Here is a picture of my Peak ! container from my Photobucket account

Thanks for the tip Oldie Moldy, I guess the search goes on then. Keep the suggestions coming please! I was reading the reviews of the Zebra Pots and a lot of people said they had problems with the plastic locks on the non Zebra branded ones, can anyone confirm this?

I keep my almost 40 yr. old Peak 1 in a cyndrical tupperwear container that is perfectly sized for it. Most likely, the bin was for sugar or something similar. I really like iso-butane stuff, but in colder times, white gas is great. I have a couple MSR stoves, but they don't simmer like the Peak 1, a very versitle component of my gear. By the way,(some who will know) NT found me the perfect windscreen- pot support for it.

Yes and a sportsman is a totally different animal yet again, though I do like them.

Hi Jish, I didn't mean to turn you off from the Zebra brand, just was warning you about the plastic clips that were used to secure the lid. I do notice that Ben's Backwoods Zebra Billy Pots now come with no plastic clips.

Having studied mine (I got all three) I don't think the design was intended as a camping pot. Just guessing, but maybe some kind of Asian lunch bucket? Anyway, campers here looking for quality construction glomped on to the pots and started using them. The quality is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen.
BUT: there is a weight penalty to be paid for the stronger construction. And the handle isn't the best, given that it isn't designed to "click" into position, in fact it will willingly flop from one side to the other. Then there's the cute little insert pan, it could act as a double boiler if it wasn't so shallow, I don't know, you could use it for a pan to bake bread in maybe??

On the one hand I'm really impressed with the super quality of these pots but when I come to use them I'm made aware that camping wasn't their first intended use.
I'd really be tickled if the Zebra people decided to make a pot set that were designed from the ground up as camping pots.

As far as those clips that melt, if you needed to secure the lid down there are places where you can use nylon string to lash it down tight.
I believe I'll check U-tube and see how other guy's have uses the pots, there may be ways to make them work better.

All in all though, I'm not sorry I bought them.

Best Wishes, Rob

I think two different stoves are being discussed here. The Sportster is bigger than a Peak 1.http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetail.aspx?c=165580&l=g#.VPTf7fnF8eE

Yes, the Sportster 2 has a larger fuel tank than the Peak 1 stoves and is the only single burner liquid fuel Coleman stove in current production. The burner on the Sportster 2 is nearly the same as the Peak 1 stoves. The burner on the older model 502 Sportster is larger and more heavily constructed.

Just ordered the 16cm Zebra billy Pot by Grand Trunk from Amazon, just under 29 bucks and free shipping. I grabbed a tall aluminum windscreen as well; it will be too tall to fit in the pot, but any smaller would not have worked with the Sportster. I will throw a few pics up when it all gets here. Thanks for all the ideas guys.

The link for the Sporster stoves says it is 7.8 inches wide. 16cm is 6.29 inches. Will your stove fit?

Back