• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Question about twig stoves ...

Reaction score
Can you use a Solo Stove (bush buddy) or a Little Bug Jr. in the bush during a fire ban? I know Solo Stove says you can, but I do not know the rangers say. Does anyone know?

Bob.

I use a Littlbug on almost every trip now, except when I use the wall tent. I bring a Coleman Peak 1 with me and leave it in the truck if there is no fire ban. If there is a fire ban, they I take the stove with me.

I'm of the opinion that the stove uses wood tinder with an open flame and is pretty much the same as a controlled campfire, but I could be wrong and over cautious.

I've never read any regulations that said one way or the other but I've always heard the same as Robin said, that they wouldn't be allowed under a fire ban for the reasons he stated.

Alan

Not in Ontario. All you ever wanted to know about Ontario's fire regs and the forest fire prevention act available here -

In the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, in those areas where where open fires are not allowed at any time, I know for a fact that you are not allowed to use any type of wood burning twig stove either.

In regards to Ontario Provincial Parks, during a fire ban twig stoves are not allowed.
The last time I looked into this it included a call to the Park Superintendent (Algonquin) and it was explained to me that an open flame needed to be controlled by a valve enabling one to instantly shut off the supply of fuel.
I assume that this also applies to crown land but can not speak for areas outside of Ontario.
On a side note, a few years ago following a 7 day solo Bev met up with me and we spent the next couple of nights in a developed campground. The first night as I was preparing to cook dinner, twig stove set up and the necessary pile of twigs ready to go we were visited by the local Park Warden and whens he saw the pile of twigs she was not happy.
Long story short, I barely escaped a fine for collecting wood from the local area by agreeing to toss the collected wood back into the surrounding bush. She went so far as to make me scatter what I had collected. According to her, I was soposed to purchase wood from the Park Office and whittle it down to something use able. Let's just say it was a good thing I had a liquid fuel stove with us.

Cheers
Rob from Barrie

Pretty sure in the BWCA they are not allowed during a fire ban. They go as far as banning charcoal too but often have partial bans allowing fires from 7 pm til midnight.

OK, so no twig twig stoves during a fire ban ... bummer. I was looking for an alternative to bringing a heavy stove and lots of fuel on a trip. If I bring a twig stove, I would still have to bring a back up in case of a fire ban - thus my second question. The Solo Stove has the option of using an alcohol stove with it. So, what do the people of this board think about alcohol stoves as a back up. The stove is the same, only an alcohol burner and some fuel would be brought. Any opinions?

Bob.

My primary stove for years has been one of several different models of alcohol stoves of the Trangia or White Box type. If on an extended trip I couldn't use some type of wood burning stove, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of my alcohol burners if solo or with a couple of people. More than two people and you should have more than one alcohol stove, or a stove of another type.

No Title

If all you need to do is boil water, an Esbit stove might be just the ticket.

Attachments

• photo1725.jpg
    photo1725.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1726.jpg
    photo1726.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1727.jpg
    photo1727.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1729.jpg
    photo1729.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1731.jpg
    photo1731.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
Not trying to make trouble, but if I was planning to use some stove that might be called into question I believe it would be wise to have a copy of the official regulations copied off and taken along. I would suggest that we're seeing more and more "Officials" who have forgotten they were hired to serve and not rule and dictate. Probably it's a inescapable evolution in any bureaucracy.

Rob from Barrie and his adventure with the park warden is a good example. Had there been a TV crew along she would have never, ever pulled that stunt.

But after all the fuss and feathers dealing with rules and regulations, we still have a real responsibility to consider just how safe we are using some stove setup or another. The question I ask myself is: How bad could some screw-up be? Could I still recover and snuff out any fire? Fire ban or no.

Best Wishes, Rob

Back