• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Easy pickled eggs.

Reaction score
I recently learned to bake eggs in a muffin tin in the oven. It works great, set the oven at 325, and bake in the muffin tin for 30 minutes.
The shells come off easy . When you take the eggs out of the oven put them in a pan of cold water to cool, wait 5 min. and peel.
Here is the easy part.
I take a jar of Famous Daves Devils Spit pickles, take out the pickles and put the baked eggs in. Put the cap back on and put into the fridge.
In about a week, if you can wait that long they are good to go.

I add a little sugar along with the eggs, but that is optional.

The economy method is to eat the pickles first and use the juice in the jar to pickle the eggs.
Enjoy !

Jim

Ah, another pickled egg connoisseur. I have 2 jars in my beer fridge (what better place for them?). My son gave me a jar of his own concoction (with jalapeños), but between us and a movie, and a couple beers, the jar barely lasted to the movie credits. So I boiled and peeled some eggs and doubled the batch. The usual suspects of vinegar, cloves, bay leaf, garlic etc, but I added more jalapeño and little hot chilies to give it some vroom. (My wife pointed out that vroom rhymes with doom.) I tried a couple eggs last weekend, 6 weeks into the experiment, and they were mildly pleasant. They weren't at all fiery and misbehaved. Next batch I need to use malt and wine vinegars rather than white vinegar. And more chilies.
Those Famous Dave's sound intriguing. I've never heard of baking eggs before, thanks for that tip. The real economy method is to eat the eggs any ol' style - sunnyside up, scrambled, deviled or western omelette- and just wash it all down with the pickling beverage of your choice. I like a real strong Irish coffee.
Oh Jim, here's a tip I learned this past summer. To make egg peeling easier, use a spoon. Slide the bowl of the spoon gently under the shell to reduce the frustrating hand peeling exercise.

I'm somewhat interested in these eggs of doom. It seems to me, on the rare occasion that I have tried a pickled egg, the corresponding chemical reaction that occurred in my lower intestine made me a prime candidate for an extended period of solo tripping. Either that, or an extended period of living the "single" life so to speak. How do you guys get around that?

I'm somewhat interested in these eggs of doom. It seems to me, on the rare occasion that I have tried a pickled egg, the corresponding chemical reaction that occurred in my lower intestine made me a prime candidate for an extended period of solo tripping. Either that, or an extended period of living the "single" life so to speak. How do you guys get around that?

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Last edited:
I forgot, (and that's getting too regular) to mention that Famous Daves pickle jars hold from 8-10 eggs. Depending on whose eggs you buy ! I had two cartons of different brands, both said large on the carton, but my eyeballs picked a big difference.
Just so you know ! I hope no one suffers !!!

YES I've been suffering the same consequences. I'm going to try some Tums, if that doesn't work. Well Maybe I should issue a try at your own expense warning !
Even pull the thread.
Open for advise !

Jim

Well, I finished my first jar of pickled eggs. There was no doom, and very little vroom. The white vinegar was harsh though. I'm no connoisseur, not really. But I do love eggs, including the pickled kind. I've discarded my recipe and will try again, as soon as the second jar is done.
My wife has a cross border shopping trip planned for later this month. Her and our son's future wife & mom-in-law are all heading over, and graciously asked if the guys would like to tag along. We stood still in stunned silence. We couldn't think of one good reason to tag along on a shopping trip. But now, thanks to Jim, I wonder if I might just tag along to do some Famous Dave's pickle shopping? Or maybe I could just ask the ladies to pick some up for me? If I ask real nice and sweet, perhaps my lovely wife will do this bit of specialty grocery shopping for me? I'll tell her it's just a little treat for me. I won't dare tell her it's for my future hoard of pickled egg production. She's not so keen on the vroom, and especially not the doom part.

Ha ha ha, I don't like the way that will turn out, tricking the wife into buying you the makings for a fart festival!

Well, I can see you boys lack strategic planning. In all marriages there are times when the wife requires of the husband his presence at something, usually a social function of some sort that he deep down loathes. I'm not talking a mild aversion but a real sincere "I'd rather eat nails" kind of thing.

For me it was a visit to the dreaded mother-in-law. Pretty much like a visit to the cannibal isles with me for the main course. I never tried your pickled eggs but for me cabbage works well to produce the required results.
So, the trip takes place and ends rather quickly. The timing margin was thin, after all you need to survive the car trip there in an enclosed vehicle.
But anyways..... once you're heading home, let the first wave of recriminations flow over you and when she pauses for breath tell her:
"But Honey, you know how I really don't like to go do (fill in the blank) and I get so nervous and my digestion gets all upset and there's nothing I can do about it!"
The storm won't abate right away but, not to worry, you've laid the ground work for the future.
The next time the dreaded event looms, if she doesn't remember, surely you can figure out some way of reminding her?

There's no point in getting old if you don't get canny......

Rob

You're on a roll today Rob! I have to be careful with my wife, she's got the blood of Voyageurs bubbling in her veins, and I'm fairly certain that if she took a notion to tune me up, she would prevail in a handy fashion! Hence, no pickled eggs past these lips! The girls say "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips". Well, a pickled egg on the lips, the house smells like sh@t. No siree, in deference to my wonderful third wife, my last one for sure, I will not let eggous pickledness near me.

Now Brad, yur probably gonna try to pull some kind of shenanigans and smuggle some of those flatulent bombs into Marshall Lake, neh? Well, I can just imagine the horrific results in a small nylon tomb with two people in it. You're on your own!

Well, as far as smuggling my eggy stink bombs on the canoe trip, I don't think I'll take any chances with my/our sleeping arrangements. a) Our little tiny tent might be snug and perfectly proportioned for canoe trip canoodling, but it's awfully small for breezy evenings, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. b) Also the tent isn't quite flame retardant enough for my vroom-doom pickles. c) As much as I like to roll myself up in a wool blanket in front of the dying embers (if I get kicked out of our matrimonial tent) , even that would be tempting fate, as I'm pretty sure I'd be a pudgy wooly wick enveloped in noxious flammable fumes next to the fire---poooof whhooooosshh!! goes the prostrate pyrotechnic paddler! Seeing me going up in a ball of firey fun might make me the most popular campsite show for miles around, but the sludgy stench of smouldering cinders would no doubt offend everyone's sense of smell.
So no, that wouldn't work. I'm thinking I'll just have to leave my little gems of sulphurous odiferous delight at home.

(Or I could just blame it all on Famous Dave and JDodd. Yeah, that'll work.)

Last edited:
Might be a good time to skip the country !! At least change my name !
OH Did I mention this recipe is great for bear bait !

Back