• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Who brought the turkey?

Reaction score
One year some friends and I were menu planning for a short 4 day (Canadian-October) Thanksgiving trip. Several of us sighed at the thought of missing out on all that turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. And pumpkin pie. Anyway, one friend spoke up and volunteered to bring the traditional Thanksgiving dinner as his part of the meal plan. None of us believed he'd try, much less pull it off. But he did. He'd cooked and jointed the big bird, then foil wrapped and froze it all. He even brought the potatoes and cranberry sauce. It was a heck of a heavy food pack for such a short trip, but gosh we ate well. We didn't forget the wine, and we toasted our new camp chef Rick. It was a big hit.
Has anyone else brought traditional homestyle meals for a paddling trip?

Yup, do it all the time. I've done turkey with all the fixin's, roast beef tenderloin, bbq chicken,etc. I take fresh and do it in my dutch oven

For many years, our school club ran a thanksgiving trip. I would pre-cook two turkeys, de-bone them and freeze them in tupperware containers. We brought the whole works for a huge meal. The last one we did, around five years ago, a huge snowstorm came in and we had to break ice on the lake the next day to get out. Also, there are so many moose hunters up here on that weekend now, that I decided to end all of my school trips before that weekend.

However, we have had some early Thanksgiving trips, same thing, one weekend earlier!

Cooked turkey and trimmings last week in the open fire on my trip. Used foil as I hiked in a few miles. On many trips I eat "real " food, especially the first night.

For years on group trips we'd all be on our own for breakfast and lunch but one person would cook up a dinner meal. One of my favorites was, still is, a hearty potato and ham soup beefed up with a healthy load of garlic with home made bread on the side. Easy to make and very tasty. Cooked ahead of time and then dumped into freezer bags and into the freezer it went. Put them in a cooler with some ice and when we got to camp just defrosted them on the campfire in a large pot. Have been on a couple of trips where CWDH brought a turkey and fixings! Somewhere someone has a picture of him paddling his Malecite in on Assategue looking like a battle ship with all of the gear he had for this feast including a grill!

Never as fancy as turkey but I've thought about it. I'm usually alone and can't eat a whole turkey, but I've seen turkeys cooked in cardboard boxes lined with foil. I regularly cook steak and lobster on the fire on short "local" trips. 20 oz steak and two lobster tails. I even bring butter and garlic and heat it up on the grill.

Cheers.

Back