• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cedar/ Canvas FS

Reaction score
I have a Cedar-Canvas canoe I’d like to send off to a good home. I’m letting it go cheap, $500 cash and carry. It’s located in the Rockford Illinois area and will be at Canoecopia.
We (Wooden Canoe Heritage Association) have determined that it was built by the Thompson Bros. sometime during the ‘30s .As far as we can tell it’s their Ranger model, 16’ long, about 35” wide at center, around 12” deep at center. It was originally designed to be an ideal canoe for summer camps, tremendous stability built in.
When I took possession of it over ten years ago it was a basket case. A quarter of the planking and ribs needed to be replaced, along with all new gunwales, seats, decks, canvas, and thwarts. It served our family well, providing us with countless overnighters and day trips. Regrettably it hasn’t been used much lately, prompting me to sell it off. It’s been stored outside for the past few years so it does have some condition woes. The canvas has dried out and has some cracking in the paint and filler. The water doesn’t come gushing in but it does slowly seep. A scarf joint on one of the outwales has come apart and the rest have fungus and mildew growing on them.
If you’re looking for an easy canoe project this may be right up your alley. All you’ll really need to do is stretch new canvas on, replace the outwales, and give it a good cleaning (maybe a fresh coat of varnish on the inside) and you’ll have it done.
Let me know if you’re interested. info@morrallriverfilms.com

Back