• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Wanted - Solo Canoe

Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a solo canoe for my wife to use for day tripping, as well as for weekend getaways. She has been researching, and is interested in the Mad River Independence, Mad River Traveler, Hemlock Eaglet, or the Northstar Northwind Solo. If you have one to sell, or know of one that is available, please let me know. I need to get a paddle back in her hands!!!

Thanks,

~Scott~

Where are you located? It might help to know that so appropriate suggestions can come your way.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

We're located in North Central PA.
Thanks
~Scott~

Scott - You might want to check out Hemlock Canoe. They're not that far from you and they sell used canoes. Check out their website to see what they currently have for sale. You could also speak with Dave directly as he might be able to help you find what you're looking for. I picked up a used Peregrine at the shop and it was a simple process so I'd recommend you consider that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

snapper
Dave at Hemlock Canoe is great. I've talked to him several times and visited his shop to have some work done to my Curtis Bluegill. We regularly check his website.
Thanks
~Scott~

Your wife might want to come to the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous held near Slippery Rock the first full weekend in June. I am wondering why she is interested in three solos for big folks and one smaller.

Your wife might want to come to the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous held near Slippery Rock the first full weekend in June. I am wondering why she is interested in three solos for big folks and one smaller.

yellowcanoe
We are planning on going to the WPASCR in June. I went last year while searching for a solo canoe. Great experience, and a wealth of information.

She is a "big folk" (her words, not mine) and enjoys paddling with our 75 lb. dog. The canoes she is looking at are all in the 15' plus range, with optimum capacity of 340 lb. or more.
Not sure which one is smaller?

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/d/grand-rapids-solo-canoe-mad-river/7067601118.html

I'm not sure where you got your assumption that a Northwind Solo or Independence can take 340 pounds or more. I'm quite sure the efficient range for the Northwind Solo is lower...I had one and it would certainly handle loads up to 275+ pounds but I dont know about 340. The Eaglet would handle the load easily but isn't near the efficiency of a solo like the Peregrine or NW Solo. I've paddled all the boats on your list except the Traveler and offhand I'd recommend a Peregrine for you if your load is under 300. A Swift Shearwater would also work well (up to about 320-330 pounds) if you can find one. My Shearwater has a sliding seat which helps trim the boat with a dog and also give the dog more room and in my experience it's one of the best dog boats ever.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Pretty sure the Indy can handle that, Scott. Your wife would have loved my 98 Kevlar Indy, sold it last year (dog has not forgiven me).

Attachments

• photo14309.jpg
    photo14309.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 5
  • photo14311.jpg
    photo14311.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5
Its imperative the dog be along for a test paddle. Not all dogs ride in the same place or the same way. The Peregrine is not as maneuverable as the Colden Nomad and a dog in the bow will pin the bow so it is hard to turn( had that happen). Same for the Merlin II but that was in a heavy stern wind. See my dog picture in the Nomad under the recent dog thread. She is way up front standing and the Nomad is fine to steer. I wouldn't trip with her though as she always stood when weather got rough.

She was fine and relaxed in the RapidFIre and I would go out with her in anything but the seat position is lower and maybe she did not want to stand while I was practically laying down.

Dogs are funny and the best boat depends on what your dog wants. Lucy was also fine in the Raven. Thwart head rest placement was ideal. She was a PITA in a tandem .... walking side to side. Fine for the stern person.. not the bow who does not come with reverse orbiting eyeballs.

For some reason the Loon Works Aria worked well for her even standing. And it has symmetrical rocker that brings the stern way up making it very turny. 12240394_10206515115331662_6682468507293162871_o.jpg

With dog pinning down bow I would avoid most straight line boats but do always try before buy.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Swift Raven especially tripping with a larger dog.
Great load capacity and stable with the dog when they decide to stand in rough conditions. The downfall is it is somewhat heavy and not the fastest boat. If I could only have one boat that would be the one.

I can’t speak for the Traveler, Eaglet or Northwind, but the Independence is my wife’s all-time favorite open canoe for lake trips. I put a friend’s fairly nervous novice wife in our Indy for a trip and within a couple weeks she owned one.

Not sure about a 340lb load, the Indy has the capacity but might lose some performance. Dog-wise, depending on where a 75 lb critter prefers to ride, especially if ahead of the front thwart, you might need to move the seat further back in a dedicated solo so it isn’t buried bow heavy.

A symmetrical “combi” canoe like the Eaglet II, bow backwards with dog might be a solution.

Hi Scott, I have a NorthStar Northwind Solo for sale. Only used one season on lakes and the CT river,hasn’t seen a rock or been banged around. I have photos.

Back