• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Two Hulls for FREE

Reaction score
A good friend is selling the family camp on Lake Winnepocket in Webster, NH. He's got 2 boats he wants to get off the property before next summer. Both have been stored in a garage out of the weather. The first is a Folboat in good shape. The skin is dirty but not cracked or damaged. The second is a 1958 or so Old Town canoe that his mother bought. It's in pretty good shape and the gunwales are included but not on the hull. I don't know the weight but I was able to move it around with a bad back with no problems earlier today. If anyone is interested in either they are there for free, either respond here or PM me. Here's some pictures.

dougd

Attachments

• IMG_4101.JPG
    IMG_4101.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4112.JPG
    IMG_4112.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4100.JPG
    IMG_4100.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4099.JPG
    IMG_4099.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4116.JPG
    IMG_4116.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4113.JPG
    IMG_4113.JPG
    460.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4123.JPG
    IMG_4123.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4111.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4120.JPG
    IMG_4120.JPG
    407.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4110.JPG
    IMG_4110.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh Doug ! You should take them and bring life back to them !

Jim

They will be there until Spring...aren't you planning a road trip or was that an old post? All yours of you want them! ;-)

Yeah, I'm headed east in a day or too. Wasn't planning on going that far and not sure I have time. I'll let you know but don't hold them for me if someone else wants them.

Does that Old Town have sponsons ??

Yes, built right into the hull design for lack of better words. I wish I had better pictures, was in a tight spot.

That answers one curiosity. I know nothing about Old Town wood & canvas designs, and was trying to figure out that cockpit-like ledge beside the outwale. It reminds me of the shelf outside the doors on my old Chrysler Newport, didn’t even need the carhop’s window tray at the drive in.

Does anyone here know what that OT model may have been? I don’t see evidence of a mast step or sail, but a sailing canoe would have been my first guess.

Doug, if it doesn’t find a home here I expect the WCHA board would turn someone up.

From eyeballing it is not canvas. It's wood with resin? over it. It's almost a plank like build meaning much wider boards vs strips. I looked the boat over and couldn't find any HIN or plate/sticker so have no idea. I didn't see any evidence of any sailing extras on the boat but being that old maybe back in the day. Still there for the taking!

Hard to tell from the pics, is the Old Town a wood canvas or was it fiberglass?

Again, I know bupkiss about WC canoes, but looking at Doug’s photos I thought someone had done glass work on the stems, and some (?) work on the bottom planks. It doesn’t look like they glassed the entire hull. Could be, or maybe just best-intentions coated the uncanvassed wood with a thick layer or varnish (or ??? epoxy). Look Martha, it floats!

It is a curious canoe, and I’m now leaning towards Jim’s suggestion for Doug’s next shop projects.

Oh Doug ! You should take them and bring life back to them !

Come on Doug, don’t ya want an antique folder, refurbished for travels to far flung lands? And a resurrected wood & canvas canoe; learning how to re-canvass would be another trick in the toolbox, and there’s an audience here to help you along each step of the way.

The canoe is an old town with sponsons and half ribs. The diamond head thwart bolts are the giveaway. Its probably an 18' canoe since it has 3 thwarts. There should be a serial # on the stems that can be used to find out more about the canoe. It looks like it's in ok shape, with the exception that somebody fiberglassed it. It might be a good candidate for restoration if the glass would come off easily.

Mark

The Old Town might be an HW model. If it is an 18 footer with sponsons, they make great sailing canoes, but they are heavy - likely 120 lbs when all restored. They added the hand carry near the deck to help carry these monsters.

Cheers,

Fitz

Back